Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Arkellsparkle is on a distinguished road
Default Help please: Regarding children being picked up. Would really value some opinions

Hello,
I am currently trying to look into an issue that occurred at my setting and how others would handle it.

A mother came in and told me that the father of the child was no longer allowed to pick up their children. She did not tell me why.

What do i do if the father comes and picks up the child? (This is rare anyway)

Also hypothetically what would i do if the father had come in and said the mother cant pick up the child?

Do you have a policy to cover this as ours states that if they are on the registration form they can collect the child so i couldn't stop him really?

Also how would you note down this request?

Thanks for your help.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM

hartley is on a distinguished road

hi, i had a similar experience years ago, but i was the mother with that request. i was divorced and due to personal reasons was advised to inform the school not to let the father take the children if he turned up. the school then told me if the father did turn up they would hold on to my children and inform me that he was there but it was then up to me to contact the police etc. i think the mother should give you some explanationbecause if the father is on the form then you do have to let the children go. however if you do let the children go with the father then there is no reason not to inform him that you do need to let mom know where they are for safeguarding reasons before he takes them.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM

Arkellsparkle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that it is nice to get a parents view.
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

wcandice28 is on a distinguished road

Being an administrator you have every right to know the reasons for all this. Till child is at your place , he/she is your responsibility. If mother give you such an instruction than do enquire about the whole situation, because you will be the only person who will be answerable in both conditions whether you stop the father or let him take his child. So before taking anything into your hands do confirm about the whole matter happening out there. Afterall its your profession and you need to be specific about it.
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

We were informed that ultimately if there is a divorce/separation you need to speak to the main carer. We had an issue once of a child's dad coming to collect his son. We had already spoken to mum who the boy was living with,so we knew dad could pick up the boy every Wednesday and every other Friday. He turned up two Fridays in a row and so we had explain that as mum hadn't informed us of any change we would just need to call to check. Dad was cool about it and mum had just forgot to inform us of the change.

It's best together it sorted as soon as you know about a split. If courts are involved and access sorted that way then you should have a letter stating what days the other parent can collect, but main career should inform you.