Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Kaa

Help SOS Unit 403 K4D375: formative and summative assessments please

Can anyone explain formative and summative assessments please? When would thay be used and why?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

formative - assessment for learning which informs planning...

summative - assessment of learning at a point in time...

'The eyfs profile is a summative assessment which is a statutory requirement at the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage...'

'Ongoing formative assessment based on and adapting to observations helps children to learn'.

I just read it in 'Supporting every child's learning across the eyfs' pg 34, Vicky Hutchin, (2007) Hodder Murray if you want to quote it. :reading:

You'd think this far into an OU course I'd be able to do references better than that! Sorry! :blush:
Unread 03-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I came across another reference for these made by another forum's member..
Quote:
tassoni, bulman, beith & robinson "children's care learning & development" 2005 p 383
As mentioned Formative 'informs and builds up to enable the summative to be made .. an example would be like keeping a washing up diary for a fortnight and then surmising I (definitely) need a dish washer

Whether or not I save up to get one would then become part of the planning (& new formative assessment) of how I get one !!

There are lots of things that can come under formative assessment - play plans, photographs, observations, Minutes that might be taken down at meetings, diaries, home communications, interactions, parent observations & feedback .. Summative can include statement & decision making formats such as - evaluations, profiles, policies, procedures, anything that has a summary or facility for a conclusion, I would imagine a reflective approach is ideal for summative ..

There are a couple of other threads discussing Formative & summative here:
HELP 303 k3d208

Hth, how's the ankle ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Kaa

Thank you both. That has helped me a lot.
I am now out of plaster, but still off work until hopefuly after the hols next month.
Unread 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Hija

I love this place... found You a while ago, did not write because I can find things without asking, in other people questions...This one was the one I am looking for today... happy happy happy
:))
Unread 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hija View Post
I love this place... found You a while ago, did not write because I can find things without asking, in other people questions...This one was the one I am looking for today... happy happy happy
:))
That's great, it's so good when members drop in posts to say the contents been useful

Glad to hear the plasters off Kaa, enjoy the free time

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Chell68 is on a distinguished road

Love this site, dont think I could get by without all the information I gather from here, making me cope so much easier
Thank you so much to everyone, that takes the time to answer
I havent had to post anything yet, because I get all the information I need.