Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Angel 24 is on a distinguished road
Default barriers to the take up of various services?

My assessor has given me the assignment on barriers has anyone done this one yet?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

fluffy bunny is on a distinguished road

Hi Angel 24,

Is this Unit 305 k3c239? because ive just done this as a professional discussion with my assessor on tuesday and I got it signed off
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Basically, the barriers to the take up of various services include:
Cost
Lack of Time
Young parents
Travelling families
Language difficulties
The distance from a learning opportunity
Own circumstances
Lack of transport
Families who are new to the area and dont know what services are on offer.
Special needs discrimination (does the setting have provisions for wheelchair users ie ramps, disabled toilets, wider doors and parking facilities etc).
Speech difficulties ie a child who only communicates through sign language/makaton. Is their any of the staff in your setting that can use makaton or sign language.

The key to overcoming these barriers is COMMUNICATION. Communication is essential to improve links between the providers and the communities.

The way we can communicates is to have:

Leaftlets in English and other languages
Radio advertising
Using local library's
Target mailing
Internet
Through the health visitors and community nursery nurses
Notice boards etc.

I hope this helps you a little, Good luck with the rest of your work

fluffy bunny x
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Thxs for the info. My assessor said to try and do a booklet and get information relating to each case. Such as AA etc. and research what help is available for the other causes and collect leaflets. Is this what you did?
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Hi Angel 24,

I was lucky enough to be able to do a professional discussion. Im also very lucky that the setting im in at the minute is an Excellence Centre (Surestart) so most of my information was already there to hand and anything I didnt know I asked my colleagues who were very helpful.

I told my assessor about the services that my setting provides for example we have a few ESOL families (English is a Second or Other Language) our centre puts on classes for the mums and dads to learn english with a multi lingual tutor, the course is free and the children of the mums and dads have access to free creche places whilst their learning. The parents are given free refreshments and learners packs (pens, pencils, note pads and course material) so it encourages the parents to come along and learn and the children get to mix with other children, play in a safe and secure environment, we also provide extra staff to support the ESOL children.

In my setting we have visiting professionals like health visitors, community midwives for young parents to be, other health professionals that provide health eating sessions and smoking cessasion classes. We have a representitive from citizens advice who comes every wednesday to help parents talk over money concerns etc. The setting is accessible to all no matter what age, race, culture, special educational needs, gender etc nobody is excluded.

What services does your setting provide? If you have a local Surestart centre go along, im sure they will be able to give you alot of info.

Good luck, I hope this helps!! I know this unit is a bit of a nightmare

fluffy bunny
Unread 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Hi, Im a childminder so am finding it difficult to gain all the info I need. I have picked up some leaflets and am trying to find so name & addresses on the net.