Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

jenmaz2468 is on a distinguished road
Default CYP Core 3.3 (1st Assessment task) HELP

*Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people*

1st task and I've hit the bottle already :-(

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE will someone point me in right direction with this:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 1 links to learning outcome 1, assessment criteria 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5.

‘Please keep me safe.’ This simple but profoundly important hope is the very minimum upon which every child and young person should be able to depend.
Protection of Children in England ‘A progress report 12th March 2009’

In order to support the above statement you need to compile a folder which includes:

• an outline of current legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures within own UK Home Nation affecting the safeguarding of children and young people

• an explanation of child protection within the wider concept of safeguarding children and young people

• an analysis of how national and local guidelines, policies and procedures for safeguarding affect day to day work with children and young people
for example:
Childcare practice, Child protection, Risk assessment,
Ensuring the voice of the child or young person is heard,
Supporting children and young people and others who may be expressing concerns.

• an explanation of when and why inquiries and serious case reviews are required and how the sharing of the findings informs practice

• an explanation of how the processes used by own work setting or service comply with legislation that covers data protection, information handling and sharing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going insane looking at this task?

Please help anyone xxx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

emziebub88 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have just completed this assignment, so I thought I would message you and offer some help, This is what I have written for my assignment and it has been signed off, so enjoy! I would appreciate it if you didn't just copy and paste though!! :)

Section 1: The main current legislation, guidelines, policies & procedures within your own UK Home Nation (England, Wales etc) for safeguarding children and young people.

In England and Wales, policies and procedures for Safeguarding and Child Protection are the result of the Children Act 1989. The Children Act 2004 also introduced further changes to the structure and organisation of the way Child Protection is, after the serious case review which involved Victoria Climbiè.

Children Act 1989
The aim of this act is to simplify the laws that are already in place, which protect children and young people in the UK. It was seen as a “serious shake up” of children’s rights and protection, and also made it clear what the duties are for all who work with children and young people and how they should work as a team in the event of a child abuse allegation.

Children Act 2004
After the tragic death of Victoria Climbiè in 2000, it was realised that the services that were set out to identify, protect and safeguard vulnerable children were still not working. In 2003, the Laming Report criticised the approach to protecting children in our society. This resulted in a green paper, known as Every Child Matters, which then led to the Children Act 2004 in England, and other similar bills in all four UK countries.
There are four main features of the Children Act 2004, they are:-

Lead counsellors for children’s services with political responsibility for local child welfare.
A new Common Assessment Framework to help agencies to identify welfare needs.

Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)

The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) works to safeguard children in the United Kingdom. This is because when children are safe and secure, healthy, when their individual needs are being met and when they have positive relationships with the adults that are caring for them, they will learn best. The EYFS welfare and safeguarding requirements are intended to ensure that care providers of children and young people are being cared for in safe, stimulating and a welcoming environment, where they can build their confidence and enjoy learning in the setting. According to the EYFS statutory framework: “The safeguarding and welfare requirements are given legal force by Regulations made under Section 39(1)(b) of the Childcare Act 2006”, this means that every registered care setting for children and young people must use it by law. The EYFS statutory framework also states that safeguarding policies and procedures should include an explanation of what action should be taken in the event of allegations being made against staff members, which should also cover the use of cameras and mobile phones in the setting.

Revised arrangements of information sharing
Integration of children’s services and the introduction of children’s directors who take responsibility for local authority education and children’s social services.
The establishment of Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards (LSCBs) who have statutory powers to ensure that social services, the NHS, education services, the police and other services work in partnership to protect vulnerable children.

Working Together to Safeguard Children 2006
The revised version of this document provides updates on safeguarding and also a national framework to help agencies work individually (as well as together) to promote and safeguard the welfare of children. It also reflects the changes to safeguarding practices in recent times, especially in the light of the Laming and Bichard Inquiries.
The Vetting and Barring Scheme
This scheme was introduced in October 2009 and its aim was to prevent unsuitable people from working with children and vulnerable adults. From July 2010 and phased in over a five year span, anyone who is working with children or vulnerable adults will need to register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA). The ISA will use a range of information from different sources, such as Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) to prevent any unsuitable adults from working with children and vulnerable adults. The CRB processes applications for ISA registration, and will continuously monitor individuals against any new information, while they will continue to provide employers with the access to an individual’s criminal record, as well as any other information that may be needed to help them to make informed recruitment decisions.

In early years settings and schools, each setting will have their own set of policies and procedures in regards to safeguarding children in their care. These must cover the children’s safety, security and well-being. These policies will set out a number of responsibilities for staff to follow, and may be separate or incorporated into one Health and Safety policy, depending on the setting/company.

These policies must include the following issues:-

● Safeguarding and protection, and procedures for reporting
● E-Safety
● Bullying (including cyber bullying)

All practitioners within the setting will have a responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children in their care. There should also be a named member of staff who holds specific responsibility for safeguarding children and also for E-Safety.

Section 2: An explanation of child protection within the wider concept of safeguarding children and young people.

Child protection is part of the wider work to help to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, in regards to the activity that is used to protect children who are being abused or neglected. It involved protecting children from being mistreated and prevent impairment of a child’s development and health to ensure that they are raised in a positive way, in safe and caring environments. Parents and carers who fail to protect or care for their child/children could be taken to court, and could also have the child removed from the home and put in care of foster parents. This is a rare occurrence however, as it all depends on the seriousness of the case, only when the risk of harm in continuous would services be prompted to remove a child, as they will mostly work with the family to protect children.

Wider forms of safeguarding children include the following:-

Risk Assessments (providing safe environments inside and outside the setting)
Procedures and Legislation (health and safety, fire drills, registers, etc)
Keeping training up-to-date in safeguarding issues
Assessment of observations to help to identify any additional support that is needed

The Statutory Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) shows that child protection is part of the welfare and safeguarding requirements. It is supported by the positive outcomes of Every Child Matters and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) that places a duty of care onto childcare practitioners and their managers to safeguard children and young people and promote their welfare.

This is clear in raising a CAF on a child due to observations in a setting, then working in partnership with a multi-agency team which will acknowledge whether or not a child and families’ health and wellbeing are being affected, and if so they may not be emotionally or physically healthy enough to learn.

Section 3: A clear analysis of how national and local guidelines, policies and procedures for safeguarding affect the day to day work, both with children and young people and within the new worker's role.

There are many different guidelines, policies and procedures for safeguarding children and young people that will affect the daily work of practitioners working with them. These relate to:-

• Childcare Practice – Any setting that provides care for children and young people must have policies and procedures which cover every part of safeguarding.
These should include policies and procedures for the following:-

 Child protection
 Health and Safety
 Outings
 Visitors to the setting
 Contact with children and performing personal care

• Child Protection – In my setting, we have policies and procedures for safeguarding, which say that employees, students and volunteers should be thoroughly checked for suitability, eligibility and CRB checked before they are allowed to begin working with us. Child Protection is also part of the safeguarding and welfare requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Statutory Guidance.

• Risk Assessment – Risk assessments are a vital part of safeguarding children. In my setting, before we are able to allow the children into nursery, we must ensure that both the room and the garden have been risk assessed. Garden checks are also carried out any time before we take the children into the garden to play, to make sure that the area is healthy and safe for them to play in.

• Supporting children and young people and others who may be expressing concerns – If a child, parent, or other practitioner were to express a concern in my setting, I would firstly show them that I was taking them seriously, tell them that I am there to listen to anything they have to say, and have empathy. If it were a child that had a concern, I would tell them I will help them as best I can, but should never make promises about keeping it to myself. I would also make sure not to jump to conclusions, or ask questions, and I would seek advice and support from my manager, as well as the designated Child Protection Officer.

Section 4: An explanation of when and why the inquiries and serious case review processes are required, issues of how to share findings and implications for the worker's practice.

A Serious Case Review (SCR) should be considered when a child sustains a potentially life-threatening injury or serious permanent physical and/or mental health impairment and development because of abuse and/or neglect, the child has been seriously harmed because of sexual abuse, the child has been seriously harmed following a violent assault by another child or an adult, and also if a parent has been murdered and a ‘domestic homicide review is being made under the Domestic Violence Act 2004.

Since April 2007, local authorities are authorities are required to notify Ofsted about any incidents which involve children that are serious enough that they may lead to a SCR. This includes when a child has died or suffered harm as a result of abuse or neglect, or that have attracted national media attention.

SCRs are not investigations into how a child has died or who is responsible; these are of coroners and criminal courts to deal with. The purpose of a SCR is to clearly identify what those lessons are, both within and between agencies, improve intra- and inter- agency working and to better promote and safeguard the welfare of children, and to establish whether there are lessons to be learnt from the case about the way local professionals and organisations work together to help promote and safeguard the welfare of children.

When we use the most updated information and guidance, it will ensure that childcare settings are able to meet the requirements of the Safeguarding and Welfare of the EYFS framework. This enables them to create a high quality setting that are welcoming, safe and stimulating, where children can enjoy learning and gain confidence. It also allows early years settings to take necessary steps to keep the children safe and healthy at all times.

Section 5: An explanation of the processes used by own work setting or service that must comply with legislation that covers data protection, information handling and sharing.

In early years settings, practitioners are made aware of our confidentiality policy that complies with the Data Protection Act 1998. The policy will ensure that we are all working in the setting with confidence. In my setting, we respect the laws of confidentiality in many ways, such as:-

• Information about children will be kept filed away, and only shared with parents of each specific child or other practitioners if they have a professional need to do so
• Parents cannot have access to any other child’s records, personal information, Learning Story, etc

All personal information about the children, including any social services records is kept safely filed as they too are classed as confidential and is only accessible to staff as they are locked in a filing cabinet in the office. Practitioners are not permitted to discuss an individual child with any other than that child’s parent or carer, and information that is given to practitioners by parents should not be passed onto third parties other than other staff who look after the children (if they need to know). This is stated under the Safeguarding and welfare requirements of the EYFS Statutory Guidance.

If there is a child protection matter concerning a parent, the Data Protection Act will allow an allegation without consent, so they can apprehend or prosecute the offender, in order to prevent or detect a crime.

The Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework states that “The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) gives parents and carers the right to access information about their child that a provider holds. However, the DPA also sets out specific exemptions under which certain personal information may, under specific circumstances, be withheld from release. For example, a relevant professional will need to give careful consideration as to whether the disclosure of certain information about a child could cause harm either to the child or any other individual. It is therefore essential that all providers/staff in early years settings have an understanding of how data protection laws operate. Further guidance can be found on the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at: http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...on.aspx”.

Obviously if you live in Wales, Scotland or Ireland you will have to change the eyfs bits, hope it helps tho!
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

shell loves cats is on a distinguished road

emziebub88 -thats just helped me complete my cyp 3.3 LO 1.4 - tutor gave quick brief info on the 3 parts but i didn't catch the why part, thought i would find the answer in my course book but no luck but your answer has helped me. thanks
Unread 03-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

england is on a distinguished road

1.1. Outline current legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures within own UK Home Nation affecting the safeguarding of children and young people.

Safeguarding legislation guidance says that safeguarding means that children will be protected from maltreatment and will be provided with the protection needed.

1. The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989
UNCRC is an agreement of the government around the world stating what right all children should have and applies to everyone under the age of 18.
All adults should always try their best to follow this legislation in order to give all the children the rights they deserve and help to safeguard them. This is important as it acts as a guide on how children should be treated. Under this act/convention all children have the right to being treated equally regardless of the fact that they might be less capable compared to some other children or that they have a different culture etc. They also have the rights to:
Confidentiality
Information that can help them
To complain or express themselves if anything has upset them
To have their say
To have privacy

2. Child Protection Act 1999
The purpose for this act is to provide for the protection of all children. Within this act, the safety, well-being and best interests of children are paramount.
There are many more principles within this act such as;

A child has a right to protected from harm
A child’s family is primarily responsible for the child’s care and upbringing.
A child should have stable living arrangements.
This act applies for all children younger than 18.

Keeping Children Safe
Love: If children receive love from adults and peers they will feel safe and welcome into different environments.
Security: If there is security around children, they will feel
Happy environment ( both at home and school etc)
Safe environment ( both at home and school etc)
Routine/Continuity: If there is a routine in place children will feel settled and will also know what they will have to do)
Stable relationships from adults ( both at home and school etc)
Confidence: Resilience- Happiness

Recognising and Responding To Abuse
Give examples of how a child or young person could be harmed by:
Another child or young person:
Bullying
Physical harm
An adult
Physical abuse
Emotional abuse
Neglect
Sexual abuse
Self-harm
Bang head
Hair pulling
Cutting
Solvent abuse
(This may be done on purpose to release frustration and anger)

Grooming someone’ (a victim) trust or confidence to prepare him/her for sexual activity or abuse. This can be done by showing affection towards a child or young person who may be emotionally hurt and seeking attention and love. The person might also bribe the victim to prepare him/her for exploitation or sexual activities.

Explain how the risks posed by a mobile phone for a child or young person.
An adult can get hold of the number
The child can build a relationship with strangers
Can be bullied by abusive language through text messages.
They might go out and meet up with the stranger they have built a relationship with.

Internet bullying.
They can be exposed to cyber bullying.
The child can build a relationship with strangers through chat rooms.
They might send pictures to strangers posing as friends.

This can be prevented by checking the child’s phone once in a while. Supervise the child when using the computer/ internet.
Change the privacy settings to high and block any inappropriate websites that might expose the child to danger.

Working with Other Agencies
Safeguarding Board promote the safety of children and young people?
Offer advice if there are any concerns.
Provide information for people /settings working with parents and children- on how to keep children safe from all types of maltreatment.

At a school or nursery attended by a child or a young person in your care, who is responsible for children protection policies and advice?
In my setting the person responsible for the policy is the Head Deputy.
For child protection there is a designated Child Protection Officer.
The school governor for this school is also responsible for children protection policies and advice.
Agencies are involved and work together to protect children, they also
work together to update the regulations
They pass on information:- concerns and queries of what policies and procedures should be followed if a situation arises.

There are services that work together to help children and their families such as:
Surgeries
Local Childminder
Social Services
Police
Hospitals
NSPCC
They come together if it becomes necessary to share confidential information in case of helping a child.

A child in our care tells me that they were smacked by a worker or a nursery or school outing.
I would immediately report this to the management of my setting and then to our Child Protection Officer (CPO). I will ask the child open question so he does not feel scared or nervous to speak about the incident. I will also reassure him that he is doing the right thing and that for his own health and safety someone has to be told. Any answers/statements that are given by the child will be recorded by me to pass onto the management team and also to our CPO. If there are any CCTV cameras available on the outing I would also check them.

If child in our care tells that a bloke who works at the local arcade asked them and their friend to pose for photos to earn some extra pocket money. What would you do?
In this situation I will ask open questions so the child is able to speak about the incident openly and without any fear. I will inform the police and social services about the incident so they will be able to investigate further and check any CCTV cameras that are available. I will also inform the child’s parent about what has happened. I will ask the child for any description of the man.

What would I do if I had reported abuse or unsafe practice but no action was taken by the person I reported it to?
What would I do if I didn’t receive a satisfactory response from another organisation or agency after reporting a child protection or child welfare concern?
If I had reported abuse and no action was taken I would take it further by reporting it to the social services and the police. I would give any recorded details of the incident so the services are aware of what has happened and what type of has taken place.
this is what i did hope it will give u any idea
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i wouldn't be signing this off it is minimal at best please don't copy it anyone.
Unread 05-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Courtneyloum is on a distinguished road
Default unit 307 Outcome 1.1

Hi i have just started unit 307 and i am stuck on the first question, please can anyone help???

Outline the current health and welfare early years requirements and statutory guidance?

Please someone help me!
Unread 11-11-2017, 06:02 PM

KayDemetriou is on a distinguished road

hi I'm so stuck if any 1 can pls help..?

UNIT 3.15

1.1 outline the rights of children and young people and how these are safeguarded in law at national and international level.-

Policies and procedures for safeguarding the welfare of children and young people are -

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989 - which ensure that children are safe and looked after, children have the right to be protected from all forms of physical or mental violence, injury or abuse, neglect, negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation including sexual abuse by those looking after them.

Children Act 1989 - Parents and professionals must work to ensure the safety of the child. Local Authority has ‘a duty to investigate when there is a reasonable cause to suspect that a child suspect that a child is suffering or likely to suffer significant harm.

The Education Act 2002 - This sets out the responsibilities of Local Education Authorities (LEAs), Governing bodies, head teachers and all those working in schools to ensure that children are safe and free from harm.

Children Act 2004 - This provides the legal framework for Every Child Matters. It includes the requirement for: Services to work more closely, forming an integrated service.

Working Together to Safeguard Children 2006 - This sets out the duties of organisations and how they must work together to safeguard children and young people.

1.2 explain how legislative and rights framework are intended to improve the life changes and outcomes of children and young people.-

1.3 explain why the voice of the child or young person has a central place in relation of rights and the role of advocates in supporting this.

1.4 explain how policies and procedures in own work setting reflect the rights of children and young people.

2)
2.1 explain how current equalities legislation affects work and children and young people in residential childcare.

2.2 explain the effects of discrimination stereotyping and labelling on children and young people.

2.3 analyse how and why children and young people in residential childcare can be the subjects of multiple discrimination.

i cant seem 2 find anywhere online..
:)
Unread 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a very warm welcome to the site. Have you been able to ask your tutor about these criteria and check when you'll be receiving teaching to help understand them?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

KatieK8 is on a distinguished road

Hiya

I don't know if I am posting on the right thing or if anybody still uses this anymore but I thought I would give it a go.
Could anyone help me with this please?

1.1 Explain the legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures relating to partnership working in early years settings

R= Current legislation and guidance, codes of practice, EYFS, duty of care, sharing concerns and recording and reporting incidents

Thankyou :)
Unread 05-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Joh Seras is on a distinguished road

Hi,is anyone can help to answer the above questions would be appropriate.thanks in advance