Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

claire32 is on a distinguished road
Default Methods of observation...

HI guys....

I'm currently on Assignment 008 and on Task B..... I have to choose 2 methods of observation on a child in my setting, which is in a secondary school. I decided on doing a diary as I do that on a daily basis anyway and a tick chart. What I wanted to know is could I write down questions for the tick chart for example....
1/ Does the child shout out instead of putting their hand up?
2/ Does the child interact with other children in the class or in a group?
3/ Does the child listen to instructions and carry them out straight away?
or do they need to be reminded?
4/ Has the child brought all their equipment, pen, pencil and ruler etc to school?
5/ Does the child respond by being quiet if told off for talking?
6/ Can the child do their work without distracting others?
All these are examples...Can anyone tell me if im on the right track..
I would tick or put a cross and then make a comment on each one if they didn't carry out one of the questions..
I would sit at the back of the classroom and just observe them without telling them on 2 different days...
Any ideas for children in a secondary school..
Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-11-2010, 02:18 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

yes you can make the tick chart however you like esp at the older end of the age range, the point of the obs is to measure progress, id issues et so if these are things you wish to tackle and monitor then perfect. they are a tad heavy though? high expectations ie have they bought all equipment? few kids will so maybe an additional comments section for if they bought 3 of the 5 items?? remember to do the obs several times for them to have any vaidity.
Unread 09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you could do a tracking chart for social and communication development, who the teen talks to, where they visit how long they stay etc?
Unread 09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

BalooTheBear is on a distinguished road

When I did this it was for the age range I work with (preschool) so I used the six EYFS Development Areas:
  • Personal, Emotional and Social
  • Creative
  • Physical
  • Knowledge and Understanding of the World
  • Communication, Language and Literacy
  • Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy
I ticked off the stage they were at when they displayed the behaviour for that specific development stage.