Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Molly Moo Moo is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Playwork unit - risk and conflict

Hi all :) Molly here.

Only just found out about this site from a friend of mine, I'm in the very last stages of completing my NVQ but just need a little help on the final missing criteria. I am going to post them ad why I am stuck so if anyone can help me I will be very thankful! (Or dear I've found the smilies!)

3.4 Offer effective support to colleagues in conflict in a way that is consistent with organizational procedures. ( I have no idea what to do for this as my works polices and producers on conflict mention noting about supporting one another)

5.3 Describe the types of situations in which colleagues may need support and how to respond to these (Though I have some situations I have no idea how I would provide support, examples of situations would also be very welcome if people ha some) :)

6.3 Summarise the types of conflict which can be dealt with personally and types of conflict which must be referred to others Again, we don't have much conflict at my work, which I suppose is a good thing, but doesn't give me much experience.

1.3 Respect the wishes of parents, carers and families within the limitations of agreed procedures, values and children’s rights I just plain don't understand this one

3.3 Share own actions and choices as a play worker with parents, carers and families giving reasons for own actions

3.6 Explain how playwork organisations seek to balance the health, safety and security of the play environment with children and young people’s need for stimulation, risk and challenge

2.5 Explain how to work with children and young people in the creation of play spaces

4.2 Explain the levels of risk that are acceptable according to a play organisation‘s policies and procedures I was really shocked to find out we have noting about acceptable risk in a polices! Will need to see to this ASAP once I have finished my NVQ :)

3.6 Evaluate the impact of children and young people’s play on members of the playwork team Again I just don't get this one

I know this may seem like alot I am asking for help with but I have flown by with the training and this is all that's left. If anyone can help me with this last bit I will be so grateful. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Moo Moo View Post
(Or dear I've found the smilies!)
lol , a warm welcome to the site xx

Hope these help ..

3.4 Offer effective support to colleagues Do any of the setting's policies & procedures mention mediation, meetings that would be used to discuss grievances, complaints, whistleblowing, concerns? If not maybe think what would happen if colleagues experienced conflict/disagreement beween themselves, with parents, at organisational practices. What happens in reality would form the beginnings of a new setting policy/procedure that you could suggest is introduced

5.3 Describe the types of situations
Situations where colleagues may need support
  • Witnessing, dealing and managing children's behaviour/means of communication in all contexts.
  • Witnessing, dealing and managing communications with parents and carers.
  • Summoning the confidence to challenge discrimination appropriately.
  • Having the self-confidence to know concerns and suggestions will be taken seriously by colleagues, more senior management and where this might of proven unsatisfactory where else it's possible to report concerns.
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10459
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17022
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10023
This is a recent thread I missed. Reading through today examples how websites can also be involved with conflict between colleagues: http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17731

6.3 Summarise the types of conflict
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17643

1.3 Respect the wishes of parents.
Parents are recognised as a child's primary and most important care giver. They are the ones who have legal responsibility for their child's overall welfare and well-being. Times of conflict can arise where parent's wishes challenge a setting's continuous provision and the policies and procedures that are in place. eg:

Times of opening
Times of collection
Methods of payment
Types of resources that children access and levels of risk they are exposed to and engage in.
Steryotypical thinking
Prejudice and bias
Meeting children's individual needs eg. toileting and the setting's changing facillities.

What a setting's policies and procedures state is practice that safeguards all that are involved.

This can set up limitations. Those limitations are what can create barriers and conflict.

If staff are contracted to begin work at 7.30 for an 8am open time a parent's wish to drop their child/ren off at 7.45am would conflict.
A child has the right to play, attend and assemble peacefully where they choose but the agreed opening times would not currently enable that to happen.

3.3 Share own actions and choices as a play worker
This is about how you share what you do so that everyone around you understands your reasons for doing it. This is an effective way to gain respect and trust for what you're doing or have those ideas/reasonings challenged. As a professional with a duty of care towards the children that are with you the risks need to be understood by all so that children gain quality experiences from them.

Posters, leaflets, books, meetings, knowledge sharing through your general day to day chats, newletters, emails, txts.

Best play - on playengland.org.uk
Making sense of play

3.6 Explain how playwork organisations seek to balance the health, safety and security of the play environment with children and young people’s need for stimulation, risk and challenge
How does your setting look to balance these issues?
The need for children to experience levels of risk and challenges?
The need to protect children from harm
The need, where appropriate to ensure children are secure in the environment eg. escape, intruders

2.5 Explain how to work with children and young people in the creation of play spaces
Be able to recognise that something is and might not be needed.
Recognise there might be opposition from adults
Be able to provide times to meet/come together and discuss those needs.
Give time to listen, be resectful, always have an open mind and a willingness to add things, change, move and remove things from an exisitng and new environment Excellent reading can be found in the Unit PW34 Work with children and young people to create play spaces and support freely chosen selfdirected play
A guide to creating successful play spaces is information that looks at all potential provision.

4.2 Explain the levels of risk that are acceptable
Managing risk in a play environment from playengland, personal & professional perceptions of unacceptable risk can be contentious. This is from the HSE regarding the managing risk booklet:

The important message is that there must be freedom from unacceptable risk of life-threatening or permanently disabling injury in play

fromhttp://www.freeplaynetwork.org.uk/adventure/manage.htm

Matches
Fires
cooking
Knives, saws, scissors, hammers, hand drills
Screws, nuts & bolts, nails, rivets
Floorings - soil, sawdust, chippings, padding, mats, grass
Belts, ropes, ties,
chains
Jumping off and climbing up equipment
Suspended and raised equipment that require balancing skills
Long standing water
Pets
Insects
Plants
Target activities

3.6 Evaluate the impact of children and young people’s play on members of the playwork team
How does, what children do, impact on individual team members?
Do you all support children when they are at play?
Do you see, value and understand some of the reasons why they might be doing what they're doing?
Do you gladly plan with them to change things around, add things and monitor activities to make them more challenging, interesting, relaxing.
Do you all feel positive about yourcontributions to the children and their play? How do you think play makes your team members act, respond and reflect?
Do you feel threatened by what children do and say when playing?
Do you feel scared for their safety?
Does any of this make you and your colleagues feel cautious, over protective, defensive, out of control, unable to cope should an injury or emergency occur.

I hope this helps a little, the playwork book is a supportive read if you have access to one - preview on google & on amazon and the search page on silkysteps will link through to existing threads - enter words, phrases, unit codes to search. Other usful sources are Skillactive website and participationworks.

Enjoy the site xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Molly Moo Moo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
Snip
Thank you so much! This is going to be really useful!

Any chance you could expand on these 3 for me please? I'm just struggling alot lol.

3.6 Explain how playwork organizations seek to balance the health, safety and security of the play environment with children and young people’s need for stimulation, risk and challenge
4.2 Explain the levels of risk that are acceptable according to a play organisation‘s policies and procedures
3.3 Explain the concept of acceptable and unacceptable risk in the context of all children and young peoples play
Thank you so much! :)
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi,

Good introductory reading in the PW35 unit Contribute to the health, safety, security and welfare of children and young people

They might seek to balance the health, safety and security of the play environment by conducting risk assssments and examining what might pose a danger or threat to the life of a child and what possible benefits there could be for the child to interact with risk to learn new or hone existing skills.

It might source training opportunities from the HSE, skillsactive, local authority that examine play, play environments, children's rights, their need for stimulation through activity involving appropriate levels of risk and challenge - testing their world .

It might recognise that children have the right not to be poisoned, electricuted, strangled, drowned, suffer serious injury, be abducted and provide the necessary adult presence to maintain/observe children's safety.

4.2 Explain the levels of risk that are acceptable according to a play organisation‘s policies and procedures
As no policy currently exists it could be said that at the moment all level of risk is acceptable.

Do you know if the setting has insurance policies that detail any information about levels of risk and times where you wouldn't be covered?

Surrey.gov.uk have an extensive set of policies & procedures that might help you develop ones relevant to your setting - Playwork policy

There are also definitions in the PW35 unit for acceptable & unacceptable risk.

3.3 Explain the concept of acceptable and unacceptable risk in the context of all children and young peoples play
This booklet might help with this and all the criteria playworkers guide to risk

Best wishes xx
the cost of ad blockers