View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

LKP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerensab91 View Post
can anyone please give me some info on this question
im banging my head of a brick wall

Why are positive attitudes towards disability and specific requirements important
Hi,
I'm not sure if you still need the help, but it's here anyway :)

Think about what would happen if you treated a child in a wheelchair different to someone who wasn't, would that be seen as positive or negative? Perhaps a child has diabetes, would you do a food tasting lesson with things they couldn't possibly eat, therefore they missed out on that activity? A good example to think about is the Olympics and Paralympics last year, not just one were celebrated but both.
By implementing positive attitudes towards disabilities and specific requirements we are not concentrating on what they cannot do but how we can help them achieve what they may lack in doing by themselves. By meeting their needs we are recognising and supporting them rather than singling out as special needs. In my setting, we have a child on the autistic spectrum, with other additional needs including intolerance to many food groups and lack of sensitivity in the jaw. We are aware of the provisions put in place to support him. For example, at snack time as he has certain food requirements, we ensure that they are met and he can sit with others whilst eating with supervision, without making him feel negative or excluding him from the activities other children do because of these requirements.
By doing this we are providing an inclusive setting and children with a disability or specific requirements are building up there confidence and supporting them in their development in which differs to others. This also helps teach other children see that no child is deserves to be treated differently because of their requirements.

hope this helps