View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

cpagano is on a distinguished road

Most theories on reflection are based on cyclical models which encourage the process of ongoing reflection, these theorists are Kolb, Gibbs, Schon, and Johns.
Kolb's experiential l learning cycle ( 1984) involve the acquisition of abstract concepts that can be applied in different situations. Kolb's theory believed that the motivation for the new development concepts is provided by new experiences.
Kolb's experiential learning style theory is represented by four stages of learning cycle:
- Concrete experience: immerse yourself in the experience, What Happened? ( feeling)
-Reflective observation: what did you notice about the experience? What did it make you think about?
-Abstract Conceptualisation: How might you change things?
-Active Experimentation: Try out new ideas.
Effective learning is seen when a person progresses through a cycle of all four stages, resulting in new experiences.

Gibb's Cycle of Reflection (1988)
Gibb's model was developed from David Kolb's 4 stage experiential learning cycle. Kolb's model is referred to as an experiential learning model which relates to learning through experience, Gibb's model is referred to as an iterative model which relates to learning through repetition.
In theory, the reflective process follow 6 steps of the model, the aims of using Gibb's reflective cycle are:
-Challenge your assumptions
-Explore new ideas or different ways of doing or thinking about things
-Promote self-improvement by identifying your own strengths and weaknesses and taking action to address them
-Link theory and practice by combining doing with thinking.

Schon's process of continuous learning (1995) :
Schon's suggested that the capacity to reflect in order to engage in a process of continuous learning is one of the defining characteristics of professional practice.
He described two distinct processes of reflection:
1.Reflecting-in-action: thinking ''as you go''about what your are doing, how well you are performing and how successful you are with different tasks
2.Reflecting-on-action: thinking ''after the event'' when you have completed a task you can consider afterwards what worked well, or how things could have been managed differently.
He believed of the concept of improvisation and incorporating life experiences in the process of learning.

John's five stage model (2000) is based on five stages that enable us to break down our experience and reflect on the process and outcomes, the stages are:
1. Description of the experience: what were the significant factors?
2.Reflection: what was I am trying to achieve, and what was the consequences?
3.Influencing factors: what factors affected my decision making?
4.Could I have dealt with it better? what other choices did I have?
5.What will change because of this experience? How has this experience changed my knowledge and personal awareness?

These models examine the process of reflection in different ways however they are all based on the same basic principles:
1. Begin with the concrete experience, ''describe what happened''
2. Review the experience by reflecting on ''what went well''? and what did not go so well?
( identify strengths and areas of improvement)
3. Analyse what has been learnt from the experience,''what could be improved or changed''?
4. Implement a new plan to try out the different strategy or approach.