View Single Post
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

midge99 is on a distinguished road
Default Hsc 3045 1.5

Hi,

This is what i've put, hope it helps. Have you got any tips for 2.6, 5.5, 6.1, 6.2 or 6.3 I'd be grateful for any pointers cos i've got to get it in for Monday!!!!!

The least restrictive principle, interventions should always be used when dealing with challenging behaviour to try and promote positive behaviour and inclusion.

At my setting whenever any challenging behaviour occurs we act as appropriate to the incident.

An example is if a child hits, smacks or bites another child then they are removed from the activity immediately. One member of staff will check the child who has been injured and apply first aid as necessary. Another member of staff will remove the child who has acted inappropriately, speak to them about the incident, explaining our golden rules again, the child is then directed to a different activity. If the behaviour occurred again in a short space of time the child will be reminded again of the rules and directed to another activity. If there was a third incident then detailed observations would be carried out to see if there is any pattern or common trigger. The child’s parents would also be approached to see if they could share any information from home.

Below are some of the challenging behaviours we may see and what interventions to use to try and sort out the problem and stop it escalating into a situation where physical interventions may be needed.

Repetitive/Obsessive

• Give responsibilities to the child for them to engage in (this helps build up self-esteem)
• Side step any confrontations
• Agree a response plan if any confrontations develop
• Give choices to the child

Withdrawn

• Ensure the child is included in all activities
• Encourage the child to try new situations with support from an adult
• Develop a circle of friends

Aggressive

• Try to calm the child by talking with them, explaining it is not nice to be aggressive
• Remove from situation using distraction techniques
• Provide support

Self-injurious

• Remove the child from the situation
• Provide support

Disruptive

• Remove the child from the situation by encouraging them to choose another activity
• Reward positive behaviour

Anti-social or illegal

• Give the child support

Verbally abusive

• Explain that verbal abuse is not acceptable