View Single Post
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

ems is on a distinguished road

SHC 34 :-

Working with children has a significant duty of care. Children who are younger and more vulnerable need greater care. The attention and vigilance of the practitioner helps to keep them safe as they develop, gives the children understanding to be able to for see and cope with potential dangers and have an understanding that their actions may hurt and upset others, also communication to be able to talk about the harm others may be doing to them.

The duty of care contributes to the safeguarding and protection of individuals this can be carried out in a variety of ways:-

• Risk assessment both inside and outside.
• Avoiding potential hazards, which could lead to harm through accidents or spreading infections.
• Having clear instructions and set boundaries.
• Observing children and assessing their development.
• Working with parents and other professionals to aid children’s development.
• Hold a relevant Safeguarding Certificate.
• Have a member of staff who is SENCO trained.

Conflicts and Dilemmas that may arise between the duty of care and individuals rights could be staff having a difference of opinion over a child for example a staff member believing they have signs of abuse and another staff member thinking they don’t. This could lead to conflict between the child’s family / carers if staff involved other agencies such as Social Services. Dilemmas could be knowing when to get further help regarding child protection and safeguarding issues for example if you did not refer the case to social services the child might still continue to suffer abuse. Another dilemma would be knowing when to break confidentiality and share information. If you have any concerns about a child or feel they are at risk you need to share them and report it, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Other dilemmas in our setting could be:-

• Staff falling out,
• Break confidentiality,
• Swearing and behaviour,
• Absent staff members,
• Lack of team work.

There are many ways to manage risks associated with conflicts and dilemmas:-

• Allowing children explore with guidance,
• Making children aware of potential hazards and dangers,
• Allowing children to acquire life skills through learning how to cope with risky situations,
• Staff ignorance,
• Parents are a risk to staff if reported to social services.

To get additional support and guidance on conflicts and dilemmas would be to talk to the supervisor or get information from outside agencies or the internet and library.

At our preschool we have a complaints policy. Please see attached.
If a complaint was made to me, I would guide them in the direction of the supervisor or deputy and suggest they have a private chat. The procedures are clearly pointed out on our policy.

I Hope this helps, my assessor has marked this off

------------------------------------
Level 3 handbooks for CYPW learners - on amazon.co.uk