View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Children matter is on a distinguished road

Thanks all of you good people for the information. I hope someone can benefit from my own contribution as follows:

1.1. Describing the factors to take into account when planning healthy and safe indoor and outdoor environments and Services:

This is about how I plan and what I take into account when I am working with Children and Young people indoors or outdoors. It is about the risk Assessments that I make.
In my setting the following bullet points are the factors to take into account when planning healthy and safe indoor and outdoor environments and services:
• The individual needs, age and abilities of the children and young people
• Specific risks to individuals such as Autism, staff-pregnancy, sensory impairments
• The function and purpose of environments and services offered
• The duty of care
• Desired outcomes for the children and young people
• Lines of responsibility and accountability.
In my setting every activity has to be planned: This means that I plan for the unexpected or unusual to happen. So my foremost plan is to be alert. Therefore, I am alert when planning an activity; making sure the location or setting of what I plan to do with the Children is the right environment for the activity for example if I was using bikes and scooters in the play area outside my house, Firstly I would ensure that the equipment; i.e. Bikes and Scooters are in safe and good working condition: Secondly; I would ensure the bikes and scooters are used in the proper manner and with plenty of space so in my setting we would not use them indoors as there is not enough space they would be used outside. I would also ensure that the main gates to the setting are closed so that no Child or young person would wonder out without my knowledge. My assistant helps me to support those children who are only still learning to learn to ride a tricycle and I have at the ready a helmet that they have to wear. When using the environment its important the children have the space required for the planned activity. When using outdoor environments I make sure the plants around do not pose a threat. Sometimes I may plan activity of going to a park so I ensure that there is no dog or cat mess around. I also ensure I go to areas of the park where the hard ground is even and rubbish is removed on a daily basis. I am aware that a varied environment supports Children and Young people’s learning and development, it gives them confidence to explore and learn in safe and secure yet challenging indoor or outdoor space. In my setting risk assessments is carried out for all activities and regular checks are carried out around the setting daily. I on a daily basis check that the toilet area is clean and has toilet paper and soap available for the children to wash their hands. In my risk assessment I also make sure that Children and Young people are individuals; each with different needs. I am a member of NCMA which provides my setting with insurance to cover for professional unexpected occurrences.