View Single Post
Unread 12-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

lnesling1x is on a distinguished road

In response to the first theory you discussed - Kolbs - I believe this to be the method that the majority of us find ourselves using day to day. In relation to children, this would be how we plan their next steps, its the planning cycle. We observe, plan, carry out, assess, etc. In regards to ourselves, we do something, realise it didnt work as well as it could have, and then alter it so that it works better next time. Regarding Gibbs' theory, I think this one is slightly more relevant to us as actual practitioners. It focuses more on the WHY this situation happened. And we all know, to reach the best conclusions, we need to figure out the why, before we figure out the how (it can be changed). Both of these mens work, is very simple and easy to follow, they provide for quick refelctive practice, but I would argue that following their theories, would lead to us reflecting - and then forgetting, without actually making a change. I personally think that Phil Race's experiential learning mode, is the best theory (and most relateable). He provided us with four basic elements - Needing/Wanting, Doing, Feedback, and Digesting. Whilst this theory is simialr to Kolbs, Races' see's the process as a "whole", we have to reach each element, before we can do better. In my day to day life, as well as my job, I constantly find myself asking myself what is it I want out of this, I then do what I think is needed to achieve that goal, I get feedback from colleuges, as well as family and other loved ones, and then I digest it... by which, I think about it, I own it.