View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Fern2522 is on a distinguished road

Hello

I am also on the last unit for my Level 3 EYFS course and looking at the question regarding the important of reflection in relation to professional development. I have looked through some of the research others have shared and hope that I too can join this forum and share my research for any comments with you all.

I decided to undertake the course whilst volunteering within a local nursery setting near my home as I have three children of my own and I wanted to gain a qualification that would enable me to start new career in childcare. Like many of you I have looked at my own way of working and reflected on my own development as I have progressed through the course and become more confident with the practices and procedures at the nursery.

When researching I feel that, as I see others do as well, two main theories reflect professional development, the Kolb’s learning cycle and the Gibbs’ reflective cycle.

David Kolb first published his styles of learning in 1984. His theory worked on two different levels – a four-stage cycle of learning and four separate learning styles and was concerned with the learner’s internal cognitive processes. His theory was that development is provided by witnessing new experiences. I look at this in relation to my own development: what issues seemed significant – the needs of the children. What was I trying to achieve – to become experienced in child care to learn and experience as much as possible to enable me to achieve my goals. How did I feel I was doing and did I act the best that I could were more questions that I needed to ask myself to ensure that I reflected on my own experiences. It was essential that I looked at this in relation to the children within the setting, they too learn from experience and by trying something. For example a child who simply says “I can’t do it” when asked to tie their shoe laces will be better encouraged “let’s have a go shall we”. So by helping the children to achieve their goal you are following one of Kolb’s learning cycle theories – observe what the child is doing, look at what their problem is (are they holding the laces awkwardly) help and show them. Then look at new ideas of ways to help the child to practice more – a simple card threaded with lace so the child can sit and practice is just one of the ways to aim to achieve this.

Professor Graham Gibb published his “Reflective Cycle” book in 1988 – his theory was that if you don’t reflect on your experiences and if you don’t consciously think about how you can do better next time, it is hard to learn anything at all. This I think is true. You need to be able to look at the way that you work and consider your strength and weaknesses and reflect on these in a positive way. Gibbs had a reflective cycle with followed: Description; feelings; evaluation; conclusions and action. Description – look in detail at the task you are doing i.e. when and where did it happen? Why were you there? Who else was there? What happened? What did you do? What did other people do? What was the result of the situation/session? These questions are particularly relevant to the nursery setting when planning sessions for the children to take part in. Next look at feelings – what did you feel before and after? What do you think other people felt? What did you feel after the situation? etc. Then the evaluation – what was positive, what was negative? What went well and what didn’t go well? Finally your conclusions and actions – how are you going to change things for the better? Do you actually need to change anything?