View Single Post
Unread 02-28-2021, 08:57 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

SETBBEARLYYEARS is on a distinguished road
Default the importance of reflection in relation to professional development

I'm currently studying for a CACHE Level 3 childcare course (Diploma for Early Years Workforce ) and as part of that would welcome discussions on theoretical perspectives in relation to professional development so that I can answer my question and gain more knowledge and insight from others who are experienced in the field or have an interest in the subject.

From my research I acknowledge how important reflective practise is to an early years practitioner as it allows the on-going evaluation and improvement of my own working practise as well as that of my colleagues in my work place and the environment we work which will lead to improved outcomes for the children in my care , a better working environment and will extend my own professional development so any help given would be much appreciated.

I have looked at the following theories of reflection but would love to hear if anyone could suggest any others that would be relevant to this subject or can add to anything I've researched below ?

Kolb Experiential Learning Cycle (1984)

Kolb looked at the incentive for the development of new abstract ideas being provided by new experiences and stated there was a four stage cycle of learning ie -

Stage 1 - Concrete Experience
This is where a learner encounters a new situation or experience or can reinterpret an existing experience
Stage 2 - Reflective Observation of the New Experience
This is the stage after the concrete experience has been had and is how the learner reflects on that experience. This would include thinking about the situation ie how it went, what went well and what didn’t go well.
Stage 3 - Abstract Conceptualization
At this stage the learner looks at what they have learnt from the experience ie how they can change and /or improve the experience
Stage 4 - Active Experimentation
This is where new ideas and changes can be put into practice so that the learner will see if they work in reality

This cyclical process then starts again ie working through the 4 stages and Kolb stated that although it is possible to enter the cycle at any stage for effective learning to take place a learner must execute all 4 stages of the model .

Gibbs Cycle of Reflection (1988)

Gibbs model was developed from Kolb's earlier model however while Kolb was seen as learning through experience Gibb was seen as learning through repetition. Gibb presented a 6 step cycle ie

Stage 1. Description - Looking at the experience in detail and asking questions ie where , why , when did the situation happen , who was there , what happened , etc
Stage 2. Feelings - Looking at how you felt during the situation and whether these feelings had an impact.
Stage 3. Evaluation - At this stage you take an objective look at the experience , evaluate what has happened and think about what approaches worked and which didn't
Stage 4. Analysis - This stage analyses the situation ie what sense can you make of it
Stage 5. Conclusion - At this stage everything is drawn to a conclusion ie thinking about what has been learnt and how things could be done differently next time.
Stage 6. Action plan - planning what would happen next time

Schon's process of continuous learning (1995)

Schon looked at two distinct processes of reflection - Reflecting - in - action ie thinking as you go and Reflecting-on-action ie thinking after the event . Schon spoke about continually improving practise through incorporating life experiences into the process of learning and so constantly reflecting on work.

John's five stage model (2000)

John's looked at 5 stages in his model so that the experience could be broken down and reflect on the process , its outcomes and from there explore and improve practise . The 5 stages are -

1. Describe the experience
2. Reflect on the experience
3. Identify the influencing factors
4. Identify how the experience could have been dealt with and what choices were available
5. How will this experience change things going forward ie my knowledge , etc

These theories would all benefit professional development as all based on reflecting and learning from experiences and follow the EYFS guidelines which state how important reflective practise is .

In conclusion I can see how these would relate in my daily life and therefore understand that reflection is an important part of professional development so that we are aware of our strengths and development areas allowing us to plan for the future , seek out support if necessary and improve our practise.

I welcome your own views.