View Single Post
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
Here's an example of what i put for,
Identify barriers to effective communication.

Hearing Impairment- A child/parent that has a hearing impairment in one or both ears.
Visual sight- A parent/child that has no visual sight or poor vision or sight in one eye.
Disability/learning difficulties- A child/parent that might have a condition called Autism that might stop them from communicating effectively and might need visual aids to help them communicate.
Learning and speech impediment- A child or parent that finds it hard to communicate through speech and gets frustrated because they are not understood. A Speech and Language Therapist might be able to help with strategies to help you overcome these barriers.
Assumption- Do not assume listen to the whole conversation and give yourself time to respond.
0ther languages (cultural backgrounds or English as an additional language)- you may need an interpreter or find other means of communicating with parents/children that do not speak English. We have a child and parents that only speak a little English so we liaise with an Auntie via a telephone call when there is a clear misunderstanding of anything that is said.
Using jargon- do not use jargon to communicate with others unless you are sure that they understand e.g. EYFS some parents/carers do not understand this. Has others who you know are aware of the certain jargon it might be useful to use e.g. i look after a child that has a disability so as i am constantly talking to her parents about the Speech and Language Therapist, i might use the words SALT because they would understand it, but saying that i personally do not use a lot of jargon because i would not like people using jargon with me and i think it is unprofessional to assume that they understand the jargon.
Different family background personality (if a parent is shy, lacks confidence or self esteem).
Lack of literacy skills.

don't know whether this helps.
i think this is such a wide and varied question that all answers are right and there can be more answers.

Sorri havent had it marked yet so don't know if what i have wrote is right!
Lynne

-------------------
Level 3 canadidate handbook