View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

moodie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nackzucow View Post
Thank you so much moodie you have been such a great help!
I don't know where to start on outcome 4. Do we need to talk about data protection acts and where do we find out about legal requirements? What is this cyber essays?
This is what i have got for the whole of outcome 4, i was so fed up i have emailed it to my assessor now, so if i need anymore pointers she can help me lol.

It is really important for adults working with children/young people to at least know the legislations and policies, again, this has come more apparent since the awful abuse of poor victoria climbie who suffered at the hands of her so called auntie who was supposed to be keeping her safe and cared for.
The school has a Confidentiality Policy, which all staff needs to be aware of, this sets out the school’s aims and objectives relating confidentiality and gives guidelines on how to handle confidential information. The Data Protection Act 1998 states that any organisation holding confidential information should be registered with the Data Protection Commission. The Act gives eight principles of practice that govern the use of personal information. Such information must be:-
 processed fairly and lawfully
 processed for a limited process
 only used for the purpose for which was gathered
 Adequate, relevant and not excessive
 Accurate and kept no longer than necessary
 Processed in line with the individual’s rights
 Kept in a secure place
 Not kept longer than necessary

Any staff who obtain information about any children they are working with should ensure these principles are followed, and that any information obtained is only shared with people who have a right to the information, for example the class teacher or SENCO.
Other parts of legislation that help to protect private information are:
Every Child Matters - This green paper stresses the importance of more integrated
services and how to do the sharing of information between professionals.
Confidentiality – Safeguarding all pupil information and ensuring that the people you are sharing information with are authorised to receive it.
Confidentiality is privileged information which concerns families, children and young people.

Confidentiality is paramount when dealing with sensitive issues especially if parents/ carers want to disclose some information to you, you would like to feel they can confide in you, but you must tell them on the of set that if they tell you something in confidence and something came to light where a child/young person was being abused or concerns of child abuse that you would have to report it to the relevant person ie, the headteacher, but it will be done in the strictest confidence, as it is unfair for them to disclose confidential matters unless they understand this.
It is very important that adults never ever;

 Gossip about parents or their children
 Discuss one parent with another
 Not to make judgements about children or their parents

However, some information does need to be disclosed where children have special medical needs for example;

 Allergy needs
 Special diets
 Religious needs
 Medical conditions

Under the data protection act 1998, information about children/young people need to be kept in a locked secure file, this should be in the same place and only the relevant people should have access to the locked file, the file should never be taken of the school premises, only share relevant information with your work colleagues on a need to know basis.
If at all you discover any breaches of confidentiality you must always report it to the designated person, again this will be the headteacher.
Sharing the relevant information is paramount for Safeguarding our children/young people and also children with special educational needs so they can receive the relevant services they need for their education and protected from abuse and neglect

================================================== ===================
If you're a student and reading this post kindly submitted by a silkysteps forum member
Do not copy and paste it.
AVOID PLAGIARISM

Read it only, inform your knowledge and find links to creditable sources that you can quote.
Then write from your own perspective using your own words to reflect professional practice & research
================================================== ===================