View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Chantalcs is on a distinguished road
Default The importance of reflection to professional development

Hi I'm also on unit 23 - The last unit of my studies !!!!

Here is my answer to question 3 - How does reflection relate to professional development.

I have learnt that when working with children things don't always go to plan.
I have planned activities or set up play environments with expectations of the children doing certain things in a certain way and the results have been far from what I had expected. When I reflect on this it helps me to keep an open mind and to change my expectations quickly and easily.

Reflection is a great way of progressing. Deciding whether the experience was bad or good doesn't really matter, it's about learning from it and being able to move forward professionally and personally to improve yourself.

When I leave work I tend to reflect on the day I have just had. I think about what I have done, how I have dealt with situations that have arisen, if I have dealt with them correctly, and most importantly whether I have inspired any children.

When it comes to activities that I have carried out with the children I reflect on what I have done with them and by observing the children I can decide on not only what the children may have learnt from the activity but also what I may have learnt from the children.

The term reflective practice basically means the process of thinking about the work I do in me early years setting as a play worker.

As far as theoretical perspectives on reflection in relation to professional development there are two main theories that help us to understand the reflective progress:
Kolb's learning cycle and Gibb's reflective cycle.

Kolb's learning cycle is a way of helping us reflect on what we have learnt. There are four processes that need to take place
Concrete experience - Doing something or actually having the experience.
Reflective observation - Reflect on what has happened or review the experience
Abstract conceptualisation - What I have learnt from the experience
Active experimentation

Gibb's cycle of reflection was developed from Kolb's learning cycle but it relates more towards learning through repeating processes and experiments.
The aims of Gibb's reflective cycle are challenging assumptions, exploring different ways of doing things and ideas that promote self improvement. Addressing strengths and weaknesses. [/list]