View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TeamofThree is on a distinguished road

does this sound any better

Description of Activity Undertaken and results/outcome
Last week the class had a class mental maths test to see what their ability is for their age/year group.
Once I had marked I returned them to the class explaining that I had indicated on them any answers that needed correcting in green pen, they were informed that they would be given an opportunity to reflect on how they had got on and to look at the progress they had made since the last time that they completed the test by comparing scores between this test and the previous one. Some were obviously excited by this, where others went quiet showing they were nervous about whether they would have made any improvements.
It was easy to see that there were mixed opinions about their improvements, many of the class were chatting loudly, telling their friends how well they had done, some were disappointed as they had not improved as much as expected.
M was extremely disappointed, when I spoke to her about it, her score hadn’t improved at all, she was extremely upset by this. When I looked through both this test and her previous one with her we were able to see that although she had the same score there were different questions that she had got correct, and that she hadn’t actually completed the test. I asked her how she felt about this and she said that she was disappointed, but she also mentioned that she knows she could work faster and that sometimes she finds herself looking around the room and not actually concentrating on the test. This is something that myself and the teacher have noticed in the past, I explained how proud I was that she had become aware of this for herself. We discussed what she needed to do to improve her score. She remembered that we have often talked about using things like “Hit the Button” to test themselves at home and she has never tried this.
The next day she was quick to tell me that she had been home and tried out the “Hit the Button” website, by the following week she was excited to tell me each day how her score had improved on it. She said she was also getting better at playing it whilst other people around the house were chatting etc, which showed in her next test. Although M is still not quite completing the entire test in the allotted time, those she does answer are all usually correct.