Thread: Eymp1 2.2
View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by discod View Post
Monitor how children use the prepared area/s and evaluate how effective it has been in encouraging high expectations of their achievement.

.encouraging high expectations of their achievement?
ive put.....

Do not put the child under pressure so they are achieving what you want them to it maybe too early for some childrens developmental rate, let them work at their own pace so they will achieve what they are able when they are able.
For an example give a child a book to look at, sit with them and read the words with them. Let them say the word first and if they don’t know it discuss it,let them say it, talk about it and then move onto the next. Then maybe a few days later sit with the same book and again encourage them to say the words, if they get stuck on the same words again then remind them how we discussed it before, could they remember and give them a gentle reminder.

am I on the right track or am I going off in the wrong direction please
Here is an example of what i wrote on this:

Evaluation of activity afterwards.
Extending the children’s learning and development.
The activity worked really well keeping children occupied and concentration levels were of a high standard. Next time I would encourage the children to cut out their own hats, this will give them more confidence in future cutting experiences.
I have learnt that children when they are completing a self chosen activity they concentrate for a longer period of time and are more motivated and they spend a longer time with their chosen activity.
The children gained confidence by exploring and making choices to support their learning. They talked to other children and the adult on a one to one basis. They used their hats and incorporated in into our theme pirates and princesses. They used their hand eye co-ordination and used a variety of resources.
Evaluation of activity: We could have supplied scissors for them to cut and more squeezy bottles of white glue but saying that the children interacted and shared the glue accordingly.
This activity was easily accessible for the younger and older children and a child with physical needs. I thought That the children would have verbally interacted more, but I think they were so engrossed in the activity that they felt that they didn’t need to communicate unless they need guidance or was excited about their hats.

Encouraging high expectations of their achievement.

We decided this week to take part in a themed interest week the children have been talking about pirates and princesses, so we decided we would have a fun week with the children but we also placed high expectations for the children. We have several different challenging activities for the children to take part in. We have incorporated designing a pirate boat with the help of the children. We are changing the layout of the climbing frame hoping that the children will come up with the idea of changing it to a pirate boat, this will help motivate the children and require them to think of ideas on how we can do this. Some children might not have the knowledge to help with this but they will be challenged by the learning experience via role play as a pirate or princess, they will still be achieving but within their age/stage of development and will gain from the experience and knowledge of others. We will not put pressure on the children to achieve this but will encourage their skills especially their thinking and communication skills. We know the children within our setting and will act appropriately by helping and supporting the children that will need this.

Lynne