View Single Post
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Teresa 29 is on a distinguished road

HI SUNFLOWER - DOES THIS HELP? - To monitor children’s development, schools use formal testing - SATS as well as internal school tests which record a child’s academic attainment and intellectual development. As a teaching assistant I may be asked to observe a child whose development is causing concern and feedback to the teacher. I would always record information and feed back to parents about the outcome of our findings via the teacher. Observations of test results would be compared against the expected norms and milestones of developmental age statistics. I would use feedback from parents to then check with class teacher, who would discuss with others involved within school. They would look if any further action or interventions were required which I would implement as advised by teaching staff.
With an older child I would involve him or her (according to their age and understanding) in any assessment of their development - so recording their feelings wishes and views. I would observe them in different contexts (depending on which areas of their development I was looking at - for example social developments observe in playground, in group and individual settings).
I would also take into account their culture and any issues; a child or young person may have educational needs but these may not be creating delayed development, for example their first language may not be English, therefore their lack of understanding may lie there; perhaps they need language lessons for students of English as a foreign language.