Thread: volunteers
View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

Default Volunteering

Hi Noah,

With regards to volunteering: - I work in a voluntarily capacity and have done for the past 15 years. I am actually the manager of the setting and now employ 11 people on a part time basis. Also as I work voluntary I can sit as one of the Trustees of the setting. I have done all the necessary training to meet good practices of early years education through play. At the moment I am doing CCLC level four.
I am a mature woman quite capable of making decisions for myself, not only do I fill in the accident book, take the register, give medication, deal with unacceptable behaviour, change nappies and take children to the toilet, deal with all professional that visit the setting. The only persons who would not be allowed to do the toileting or be left unsupervised with the children are new staff or students who do not have a full, enhanced CRB checks, but there is no reason why to gain experience they can't be accompanied by a member of staff who have the CRB. I also perform one to one sessions for employees and yearly appraisals.
If you look at your equal opportunity and inclusion policy you are actually discriminating against volunteers by not giving the same rights as someone you employ, perhaps your policies need addressing in order to keep up with new legislation.