View Single Post
Unread 02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Doing the FD was something I've been thinking about for a while- like you I couldn't decide, then suddenly out of the blue our setting closed (they wanted the room back! anyhow I took 'it', (and the redundancy money!) as a sign.. and I now have to say my life's changed totally...

What put me of doing it for a long time was the fact I worked in full-day care full time (I was the manager) it was a small 26pl 2-5 year olds and I couldn't face doing course work as well, also I would have needed to do it over a longer period. But once my situation changed, I found a localish college that offered it over 2 years, and to cover the work based part I have taken a job as Deputy at a local Pre-school (after a dodgy start elswhere) and love it!! We're actually classed as full-time students at uni - but are only class based two evening a week 4.30 - 8-30, there's a lot of work but most of it is 'relevant' to the setting -which make it more interesting and directly links to how you carry out your practice (if you understand my meaning!)

As for what I'm going to do at the end of it....... can't decide!!!!!!!!

What's happened to me over the last few months has given me a lot to reflect on- I've had a really horrendous expirence in a full day-care chain - in which I witnessed things I certainly wouldn't want any child going through, what was happening was due to such poor training and the staffs complete lack of understanding of children's needs .......... that I think I might consider moving into the training side of childcare.

Anyway...due to my complete lack of decision -making skills, by the time I left college last night..... somehow or other ...(after a career development discussion with tutor) I now appear have signed myself up for.... an A1 Assessor course!!!!!!!! So It looks like I've started exploring the
training route already then!!!!