View Single Post
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kilnacolpagh is on a distinguished road

2.4 i simply put that at our setting we have monthly group meeting where all that is happening is explained to the parents and they are free to ask any questions they may have. I also put that the entrance hallway is designated to the parents only and has a notice board with all cirriculum advice, current newsletters, and a copy of a newsheet that is sent home with the monthly newsletter ststing how best the parent can support their child in each area. there is also a maths bag system operating in my setting where a bag is sent home with each child weekly containing perhaps a book on wild animals, and some wild animal toys along with an advice sheet for the parents about how best to use this resource. i.e read the book and talk about how many animals, which are the biggest, smallest etc.
4.1 culturally sensitive ways of working means that it is important if the parent agrees, that you include their culture into working practices. i talked here about my setting having a young girl who as part of her culture cannot eat ham so on the days she is their, ham is not put out for any of the children. It also includes ensuring that if there is a language barrier due to the culture, that an interpreter is on hand to ensure the parent fully understands what is expected of them. perhaps have a member of staff fully research the culture so that everyone is aware of anything that needs to be put in place to provide an inclusive practice. always try to be friendly to the parent so that they can build trust in you that if there is something they need addressing or something you need addressing it is easier to do so if there is trust.
also set up special culture days representing the culture.

4.3 this means you need to look at ur own practice what you do to include any child of a different culture, could you make any changes?again you could talk about buying books which represent different cultures so everyone is aware of the differences etc
good luck