Thread: a degree mentor
View Single Post
Unread 12-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

In the meantime Poppie, don't panic.
Remember a mentor cannot do your work for you - but you can run ideas past them, some may read through something for you; and they are an invaluable sounding board - very often as you talk to them, you realise your thoughts aren't what is actually being asked of you or sometimes you realise that you are on the right track or they may suggest that you are watering down your argument with too many areas and you should concentrate only on two or three ideas.

So, whilst you don't have one, make sure you keep reading your assignment criteria so that you do not deviate away from the subject. It is easy to wander off as you write of something and go off on a tangent. So keep re-reading to stay on track.

Proof read (over and over) to make sure your grammar, spellings and flow of essay and 'readability' is what it should be.
Try and leave a day or two before your assignment is due to be handed in to check everything, amend, tweak etc.

I never had a mentor, mine left before we met and after the first year, I decided things were fine as they were.
I realise we are all different and if you would like to have a mentor, it's best to find one sooner rather than later, as it's the first year you feel unsure of things; by year two you will be 'in the swing' of things and feeling much more confident.