View Single Post
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

jessica is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Hi Jessica - you don't have to say every part of your background will bring negative experiences - like you I use to be fluent in two languages - I had to be. I lived abroad in a foreign comunity and went to a foreign school - so personally I think it brings benefits; but the question is not that it is a negative effect but how might it have a negative effect?

You could say someone who is bilingual and finds it easy to pick up languages may not be sympathetic to a child that starts the setting with English as an additional language - or not at all. They may think 'Well I can speak 2, 3 or even 4 languages, so why can't they?'

Sometimes , if you turn your question around, you may find it easier. So when they are asking for positive relationships and your mind is going blank - ask yourself 'What is a bad relationship' and then you can easily answer it.

With this question think of the positives first - bilingual - maybe able to settle in children with that language, understand that culture better etc, then ask 'What could that make me think of others? (even though you don't) - that they aren't clever enough etc?

I hope this has explained it better to you.
Thanks heidi, I meant to say how might it have a negative effect instead of being an negative experience x