Thread: k3c171
View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

akel1111 is on a distinguished road

In answer to showing that you value the child's views, it might be an idea to write a reflective account of when you have done this
For example, I was asking a group of young children in the holiday club what sorts of visits out would they like. One child replied that she would like to go to Florida Disney Land. Quite a visit out I think! However rather than dismissing her idea I gently stated that it would be great to go there but it would cost a lot of money and we couldn't do it in one day. Then I showed I valued her suggestion by asking the children if they would like a Disney Day. They children , including the child whose idea it was orginally came up with lots of ideas for a Disney Day. These including craft activities (Minnie and Mickey's ears), puppet making and a puppet show which the children acted out and videoed. I remember the child who originally suggested Disney Land as a day trip proudly saying, "That was my idea wasn't it?" I was happy to tell her that it was and she beamed from ear to ear! I think this also raised her self esteem because she could tell that her contribution had been valued and, more importantly, acted on.