View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya,

I have mixed feelings on this and look at hoping a more multi agency approach could be taken.

As a parent I dread any telltale signs, let alone finding them and completely understand the frustration parents express where successive reinfestation occurs.

We use the combing method but also rely greatly on knowing that formula treatments are a doctors appointment away.

From a working perspective first and foremost, deeply wish that support from local Health visitors, care workers, parent/setting liason services were always as accessible as a phone call and meeting - That parents could be offered, where appropriate free inhome treatments by their hairdressers, family support officers etc .. that a treatment collection/home drop off service were available and that location details for adult and child drop in advice - leaflets, guidance, on purchasing combs, the range of treatments and the way they kill nits + lice, application and recommended techniques were provided by the relevant professionals and that this signpost information was regularly supplied to settings. I'm not sure bringing back detection services such as a nit nurse in a school enviroinment would help, other than by providing jobs - interested to hear what the job description of then included.

In reality combing curly, long, braided hair or facing sensitive skin issues is a nightmare as can be making sure the time is taken to deal completely & thoroughly with the situation.

Nowadays in work, I'd be inclined to let the Parent/carer know when lice/nit cases had been seen and try to help with advice. For continued appearances printing and distributing leaflets, passing on details of any known special offers for combs/conditioners and to get in touch with any possible first points of contact - eg. Eys dept, DO, link, or Doctors surgery to find out if there was any new information, guidance or suggested intervention procedures to hand. No exclusions unless a parent wished to voluntarily keep their child/ren at home to deal effectively with the first and possibly second treatment, in which case they would receive full support in that decision and any additional agencies that needed contacting for authorisation or guidance would be.

1. Do you think that "nit nurses" should be reinstated? If yes, why? If not, why?
2. Do you think the onus should be on parents?
3. Should schools be allowed to send children home if they are "running live"?
4. Any other reason or comment?

Haven't answered as I should sorry, hope it helps a little, interested too to hear others policy & procedure

Best wishes with the assignment xx
the cost of ad blockers