Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   All about me (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Left Handers Day ~ 13th August (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909)

Ruthierhyme 06-23-2006 08:09 PM

Left Handers Day ~ 13th August

The annual 2008 Left Handers Day is held on 13th August.

The official website is - www.lefthandersday.com and has an enormous selection of information.

For some surprising facts that left handed children and adults face ... have a look at this page -
Is it just me - or is it a left handed thing ? :cheerful:

:thumbsup: This is a great shopping website with a large range of items (the annoying pop up can be easily closed !) www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk

.................................................. .......

How many left handed children do you have in your care and what resources do you have available for them?

Have you ever encountered any problems with left or right handedness? :spin:

Twinks 06-24-2006 09:07 PM

My son is left handed, which is a complete surprise to us as we have no knowledge of anyone else in the family being a lefty!

It only really affects him when he uses scissors - I bought some left handed ones which he finds very helpful although I cannot see any actual difference in them than our normal scissors. He also does "ticks" backwards - I worked with a lefthanded chap once who did the same.

He doesn't seem to have any problems at school, and his teacher even remarked on how neat his writing was, not just neat for a boy, but for a left handed too!!!

I'll have a look on your recommended sites.

T

joshie 07-01-2006 11:27 PM

i'm a lefty 2!!

hiya, your son is not alone!!:wave: i'm left handed, i used 2 have probs with 'normal' scissors - now im all grown up i don't have any trouble :cheerful:

i think that 'lefty' scissors have the blades shaped in a different way or sumfink. its supposed 2 be easier, i tried cuttin with a pair not long ago - it was bl**dy awful- maybe cos they were kiddie scissors!:dizzy: u're lil un shud b proud 2 b a lefty - i am!!:cheerful: :goodvibes

cybertwin 07-02-2006 08:18 AM

well, hubby and me are lefthanded, but both the children are right handed

i cantuse left handed scissors, just use right ones in my left hand, but find it really hard cutting along lines
also using a ruler can be difficult
cant write up to the edge in my diarys!!!!

we have a few left handed children, and have scissors etc for them

but on a plus, i can help them learn to wrtie , but struggle with right handed children - tis just wrong for me

Ruthierhyme 02-10-2008 09:01 PM

Left handed Calendar for 2008 from AnythingLeft-handed.co.uk :smile:

Buzzybees 04-07-2008 01:58 PM

oh my dd is left handed, and is just starting to form letters (shes 3 1/2) I found placing a bright sticker on the start point is helping her loads, not used anything special got left handed scissors of to look at those site thanks