Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Policy Procedure & Planning (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   New Policies (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6322)

Bev 06 02-16-2009 06:31 PM

New Policies

Hello everyone,
Several of the settings that I support have recently had their Ofsted and three of them were advised as best practice to provide seperate policies for
  • English as a second language
  • Racial equality
  • Anti bullying
Now Anti bullying policy is common place now, but I have to say I always thought that Racial Equality was incorporated into the Equality of Opportunity Policy, but no Ofsted asked for a seperate policy on just that. English as a Second language well thats also a new one on me but hey who am I to argue.
I will be writing pro formas for these policies but just wondered how many of you had heard of this, or indeed have these policies already in place.
Take care
Bev

Kathie 02-16-2009 08:04 PM

Did these settings have children with english as a second language or is this a general one to have do you think There are so many you have to put in policies these days its crazy, have just updated ours and added about a million more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bev 06 02-17-2009 12:31 AM

Hi Kathie,
No they didn't have any foreign children in, nor have they ever. We are beginning to have a slight rise in polish children in the area so maybe that accounted for it.
Bev

Brandy 02-17-2009 08:42 AM

we have a seperate policy for racial equality. we have eal in our inclusion policy do we really need a seperate one as well, we also have anti bullying in our behaviour policy we already have loads of policies will need another folder soon!

Bev 06 02-17-2009 10:03 AM

I know, its ridiculous. At the last count we had pro formas for 46 policies. This is something we aim to take up with Ofsted because its often easier to deal with the issues in one comprehensive policy for say behaviour than have lots of little off shoots that staff get confused with.
Will let you know how we get on
Bev

sarahcentral 02-17-2009 11:36 AM

I am in the process of re-writing ours are here are yet more!! We have a lot of EAL children so another policy I feel! LOL

may 02-18-2009 10:35 PM

any ideas how to update all policies in keeping in with the EYFS? Are the changes major?

sarahcentral 02-19-2009 10:49 AM

We bought a copy of the PSLA new policies they are totally up to date and mention the EYFS parts in each policy, we are using these as a basis, I think they were about £13.

sparky 02-19-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahcentral (Post 18962)
We bought a copy of the PSLA new policies they are totally up to date and mention the EYFS parts in each policy, we are using these as a basis, I think they were about £13.

We've just bought the updated version of this and its brilliant. The policies are colour coded and show how they link to the EYFS. When you buy the book you get a code so that you can download updated copies of the policies.

One policy we have just added is for "looked after children" (childen in foster care).

Kathie 02-19-2009 07:19 PM

I have just updated our policies in line with eyfs, i got the info from family services. What i have done is seperate certain policies into the four principles from a list i was given, not quite sure where she got it from