Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Eymp 3 Outcome 5 Help Please (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16861)

cutiepie2010 10-02-2012 03:16 PM

Eymp 3 Outcome 5 Help Please

Hi all I am now doing EYMP 3 outcome 5
Identify balanced meals, snacks and drinks for children in their early years, following current government guidance on nutritional needs.
I have spoke a bit about balanced meals etc and have planned a menu for children in the early years But I need to add a veggie option for my lunch meals and I am struggling to think of things from the came old stuff such a veggie curry, veg stew etc it all seems rather bland can any one help me out please?

Also stuck on
Identify the dietary requirements of different cultural or religous groups
Describe methods of educating children and adults in effective food management..... Portion sizes tacking over and underweight children and food phobias.

Natalie.jane3 10-07-2012 01:22 PM

Hi have you thought of similar meals to non-vegetarian children, for example if the children were having lasagne; the vegetarian child could be given a vegetable lasagne so they are having a very similar meal.

Or children with allergies such as lactose intollerance They can have cottage pie the same as other children as long as it has been prepaired seperatly without dairy. Same for dessert, they can have a lacto free yoghurt.

Muslim children generally cannot eat pork due to religious beliefs- sausages bacon ham etc..

Islam beliefs Halal (this means lawful or allowed) If a halal animal, eg cow, is not slaughtered in accordance with Islamic law then the meat becomes haraam for Muslims. Haraam means unlawful or forbidden.

Jewish beliefs Kosher (Jewish people eat the following foods mentioned in the Bible:
1. Fowl/poultry: eat only those known by tradition not to be in the list of forbidden fowl in the Bible e.g. chicken, turkey, duck, goose.
2. Meat: only from animals that chew the cud and have a fully cloven hoof e.g. cow, goat, sheep; but not pig, rabbit, camel, horse etc.
3. Milk and eggs: only those from kosher animals/ fowl (as mentioned in 1 and 2).
4. Fish: only those with fins and scales (eg no shellfish)
5. Meat and milk: it is forbidden to eat meat and milk together, even two separate foods at the same meal.
6. Meat and poultry must be slaughtered according to Jewish law, by a trained religious Jew, and ritually cleansed of blood)

Hope this helps!! :wave: best wishes x

libby1966 02-22-2013 03:59 PM

please can anyone help me on this question. Identify the dietary requirements of different cultural and religious groups. this is my first day here and my first post

Ruthierhyme 02-22-2013 05:36 PM

Hi, a warm welcome to silkysteps.

If you use the search page and enter cultural dietary needs you'll find other helpful threads.

If you have access to a level 3 handbook titles on amazon.co.uk there is extensive information on religious groups and their cultures/cultural dietary and lifestyle needs.

A recommendation in the Cache level 3 book is to find out the dietary needs of one religious group that's different to your own Pg 298
Groups include:
----- Jewish
----- Muslim (Islamic)
----- Hindu
----- Rastafarian

There is then vegan, vegetarian and pescatarian groups that for moral, ethical and through personal preferences have differing dietary needs.

Hth, enjoy the site xx

libby1966 02-23-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme (Post 52194)
Hi, a warm welcome to silkysteps.

If you use the search page and enter cultural dietary needs you'll find other helpful threads.

If you have access to a level 3 handbook titles on amazon.co.uk there is extensive information on religious groups and their cultures/cultural dietary and lifestyle needs.

A recommendation in the Cache level 3 book is to find out the dietary needs of one religious group that's different to your own Pg 298
Groups include:
----- Jewish
----- Muslim (Islamic)
----- Hindu
----- Rastafarian

There is then vegan, vegetarian and pescatarian groups that for moral, ethical and through personal preferences have differing dietary needs.

Hth, enjoy the site xx

ty so much that helped bme loads x