Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=272)
-   -   Unit 403 K4D375: formative and summative assessments please (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

Kaa 03-20-2008 05:20 PM

Unit 403 K4D375: formative and summative assessments please

Can anyone explain formative and summative assessments please? When would thay be used and why?

sarahnev707 03-20-2008 07:58 PM

formative - assessment for learning which informs planning...

summative - assessment of learning at a point in time...

'The eyfs profile is a summative assessment which is a statutory requirement at the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage...'

'Ongoing formative assessment based on and adapting to observations helps children to learn'.

I just read it in 'Supporting every child's learning across the eyfs' pg 34, Vicky Hutchin, (2007) Hodder Murray if you want to quote it. :reading:

You'd think this far into an OU course I'd be able to do references better than that! Sorry! :blush:

Ruthierhyme 03-20-2008 10:23 PM

I came across another reference for these made by another forum's member..
Quote:

tassoni, bulman, beith & robinson "children's care learning & development" 2005 p 383
As mentioned Formative 'informs and builds up to enable the summative to be made .. an example would be like keeping a washing up diary for a fortnight and then surmising I (definitely) need a dish washer :D

Whether or not I save up to get one would then become part of the planning (& new formative assessment) of how I get one !!

There are lots of things that can come under formative assessment - play plans, photographs, observations, Minutes that might be taken down at meetings, diaries, home communications, interactions, parent observations & feedback .. Summative can include statement & decision making formats such as - evaluations, profiles, policies, procedures, anything that has a summary or facility for a conclusion, I would imagine a reflective approach is ideal for summative ..

There are a couple of other threads discussing Formative & summative here:
HELP 303 k3d208

Hth, how's the ankle ?

Kaa 03-21-2008 11:21 AM

Thank you both. That has helped me a lot.
I am now out of plaster, but still off work until hopefuly after the hols next month.

Hija 03-21-2008 11:55 AM

I love this place... found You a while ago, did not write because I can find things without asking, in other people questions...This one was the one I am looking for today... happy happy happy
:))

Ruthierhyme 03-21-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hija (Post 11386)
I love this place... found You a while ago, did not write because I can find things without asking, in other people questions...This one was the one I am looking for today... happy happy happy
:))

That's great, it's so good when members drop in posts to say the contents been useful :cheerful:

Glad to hear the plasters off Kaa, enjoy the free time

xx

Chell68 12-15-2010 10:56 AM

Love this site, dont think I could get by without all the information I gather from here, making me cope so much easier
Thank you so much to everyone, that takes the time to answer
I havent had to post anything yet, because I get all the information I need.:With love: