Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Policy Procedure & Planning (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   New EYFS 2012 planning (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16085)

jodieii 05-28-2012 02:13 PM

New EYFS 2012 planning

Hi there, I work in a private nursery with children aged 6 weeks - 4 years old. We are looking at the new EYFS and trying to get a few ideas with improving the planning and adapting it to the new EYFS. Can anyone here help us out and give us some ideas please.

We currently have significant obs, learning outcomes (we write these up from the EYFS) Area in room (where we write the specific activity), Enhanced provision and any obs we also write an evaluation on the back for each learning outcome.

Surely there is an easier, shorter, time saving way of doing the planning.

Thanks x

tutu 05-28-2012 02:41 PM

throw them out! you need to plan for each individual child and that can be easily done by the KP. it is completely irrelevant where they are when they're learning etc. observe significant events or things which capture them make a note and pan for tomorrow based on it. yo9u need very little paperwork just a tracking sheet of emerging etc etc based on the 17 goals easy peasy lemon squeezey. everything else is a waste

jodieii 05-28-2012 03:04 PM

How do you mean? do you still have to do lont term, mid term and weekly planning? or not? have you any examples of what you're saying?

Thank you x

SueJB 06-14-2012 03:15 PM

Hi jodieii,
I'm so with you on this?
Can tutu please explain and give example more pretty please!!!!
Thank you x

maisiemo 06-18-2012 07:32 PM

I think you need to be clear about how you are going to cover the earlyyears curriculum over time even for children who do not show a specific interest in all the areas. To say throw everything out is being rather simplistic. I doubt Ofsted would be impressed.

m1sspr0ject 02-06-2014 12:04 AM

Nowadays ofsted want planning to be very much child innitiated. Of course as adults we still need to add our own ideas, so that we continue to enhance childrens understanding and imagination and give them new ideas. We do plan for all the 7 areas of learning but with a mixture of child and adult initiated activities. You need to get a good balance. We plan for the week ahead. Plans usually done on a thursday. That way we can see what interest the children have and incorporate them into the week ahead. Also they give us ideas. We do topics but loosely as for example we've just done the Chinese New Year which was fab, but a child brought in a map to show everyone some have been creating our own maps and using compasses. You need to get a good balance but plans should be fairly simple really. Two of the activities on the plans are observed with notes being taken on each child.