Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 2 Cert & NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   level 2 tda 2.4 describe how to challenge discrimination (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15377)

mum of three 03-06-2012 11:24 AM

level 2 tda 2.4 describe how to challenge discrimination

hello :dizzy:

any ideas how to answer this question, I know that it is asking me what I would do in my school, but dont knwo how to start and how much to write!

any help appreciated please!!

Ruthierhyme 03-06-2012 06:58 PM

Hi, the document on this link will help - TDA 2.4 Equality, diversity & inclusion in work with children & young people

Quote:

Describe how to challenge discrimination

You should always challenge discrimination, but to do this it is essential that you can recognise anti-discriminatory practice. Your role is to protect children from discrimination. If you ignore it when it happens, this will beviewed as condoning (excusing or overlooking) discrimination.

Consider how a child may feel if they experience discrimination which is then ignored by a member of staff who is there to support them. The child could feel that you share the view of the perpetrator or believe that the way they are being treated is ‘normal’. They may feel that they are in some way inferior. At the very least, they will feel let down that you did not protect their rights.

It can be difficult to challenge discrimination, particularly if it is institutional or practised by a colleague, so it is important that you consider how to deal with different and often difficult situations.

To be able to challenge discrimination you require knowledge of policy, procedures and practice.

If you feel confident about what is good practice, you will be able to deal more effectively with incidents that arise.When discrimination happens it may be intentional, but it can also bebecause of ignorance and lack of understanding. It is not easy to change the views of others but you must challenge discriminatory comments and actions. It is important to learn assertiveness strategies that can help when you recognise discrimination. When challenging discrimination, youshould:

1. explain what has happened or what has been said that is discriminatory
2. state the effect of this on the individual, group and others
3. suggest or model ways to ensure anti-discriminatory practice.

When you are concerned about anti-discriminatory practice, whether by staff or pupils in the school, you should speak to your manager or supervisor at the school or college tutor. You must also be aware of the school’s policy when racism is happening.

The code of practice to promote race equality includes the duty of the school to monitor and report to the Local Education Authority (LEA) on all racist incidents.

xx