Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Playwork and Out of Hours (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=267)
-   -   A New Playwork magazine!!! Great!!! (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3473)

hattyhar 01-14-2008 12:27 PM

A New Playwork magazine!!! Great!!!

Hi Everyone

I have recently discovered "Ip Dip" a brand new magazine/journal for designed for professionals in play.:cheerful:

I think it is possible to get hold of Issue 1 of Ip Dip for free, to see what you think of it. Ip Dip is published four times a year in January, April, July and September, and costs £2.40 each or annual subsciption of £4.80.

I thought the first edition was really excellent and had a wide range of articles from many different areas of playwork, I really enjoyed reading it.

You can find out more info at ip-dip.com

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.:thumbsup:

hattyhar:wave:

hattyhar 01-24-2008 12:00 PM

Just wondered if anyone else has read Ip-Dip magazine? What did you think of it?

Has anyone come across any other magazines relating to Playwork?:reading:

I have read the "Out of School" supplement that is in Nursery World a couple of times a year, but I don't think it is possible to get it without buying Nursery World, and it is not very regular.

Common Threads - a company that offers Playwork related course and study days, also produces a playwork magazine called " Play Words" has anyone read that either?:reading:

It would be good to know what is the best magazine to buy that will cover a good range of playwork issues. :dizzy:

Love to hear what anyone thinks :thumbsup:

Ruthierhyme 01-24-2008 12:24 PM

wow thank you for all that information, it's hard to keep track of what titles are available for overall and subject specific reading !

I tend to let online leads take me wherever in the search for good articles, bit haphazard at times but great variety !! What you've just posted will keep me busy for a while :D lol

hattyhar 02-05-2008 06:40 PM

Hi Ruth

Glad the information on Playwork magazines was useful, maybe once you have read a few of them :reading: you could let us know what you thought and which were good.:thumbsup:

brown owl 02-07-2008 02:52 PM

Hi

I found that Nursery Education from Scholastic Magazines is an excellent resource, each month it focuses on a theme with ideas around the foundation stage and a large A2 poster and the ohter side has ideas as well. I much prefer this to Nursery World.

My boss subscribes to Creative Steps, which covers age range 0 - about 11/12.

I used to subscribe to another great magazine called Crafts for Children, it had brilliant ideas and covered age range from about 2/3 upwards. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, it was withdrawn from publication and there hasn't been one to replace it, that I know of.

Best wishes
Brown Owl

hattyhar 02-07-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks Brown Owl

I like the sound of the Creative Steps magazine and it sounds like a real shame that Crafts for Children is no longer published.

Nursery Education as a magazine, doesn't sound like it would focus on any issues relating to the area of playwork, as playwork is more about have fun and psycho/social issues rather than the foundation stage.

I have found that Play Words magazine and Ip-Dip are the only two I have really found the really focus on issues of Playwork, and not to do with education & learning.

Playwork is a fast growing profession and the issues involved and ethos behind it are so different to those or nursery work and education. It would be good if more was provided for this area.

Thanks for your suggestions

hattyhar :wave: