Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Choosing your own optional Units? CYPOP (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14829)

NatNoodles 01-14-2012 10:42 PM

Choosing your own optional Units? CYPOP

Hi All,

I have another question, not sure if i'm being dopey or not but I have been advised by my assessor to do the following optional units:

CYPOP4
CYPOP 14
CYPOP 15
CYPOP 22
CYPOP 30

The only unit in my Penny Tassoni Children and Young Peoples Workforce book is the CYPOP 4, the book stops at CYPOP 7. I know I can get the information from other sources, but I like to use this book as a guide for content in my work. Can anyone advise if these units are covered in another book etc and if so what it is called, if not I shall just start and use other sources.

Many thanks :)

Ruby_Red 01-15-2012 11:51 AM

Have you not chosen your own optional units?
only one of mine was in the same handbook you have and i must admit i was a little worried about not having the initial guidance of what to look at and think about to write my work but i think it's useful to use other places for research and your assessor can advise you on what content to include if u are not sure, i wouldn't let it put you off not doing those units because they are not in the book. Go for them and use other sources. it will help you get different ideas and not rely on one particular book for support. People on here can help with ideas if you get stuck later on when u get to ur optional units :)

mrsnoah 01-15-2012 12:16 PM

Hi NatNoodles,
I didn't choose my units - they were given to me - I found all the info I needed by googling, and looking here.

lyn c 01-15-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsnoah (Post 43889)
Hi NatNoodles,
I didn't choose my units - they were given to me - I found all the info I needed by googling, and looking here.

I think some tutors/assessors let you choose your optional units and some don't. I choose my optional units, this tied in with my role in work, which enabled me to get alot more knowledge within my area. I choose the SENCO, disability and communication units these all tied in together and don't know how i would be assessed on these unless it was my job role (which it is, so this was okay for me). I thought they were called optional units so that the learner could choose but obviously i was wrong about that.

wendy bob 01-15-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatNoodles (Post 43879)
Hi All,

I have another question, not sure if i'm being dopey or not but I have been advised by my assessor to do the following optional units:

CYPOP4
CYPOP 14
CYPOP 15
CYPOP 22
CYPOP 30

The only unit in my Penny Tassoni Children and Young Peoples Workforce book is the CYPOP 4, the book stops at CYPOP 7. I know I can get the information from other sources, but I like to use this book as a guide for content in my work. Can anyone advise if these units are covered in another book etc and if so what it is called, if not I shall just start and use other sources.

Many thanks :)

hi,
i chose my own and i did cypop 4, 6,15 and 30, i found cypop 15 the hardest unit but having said that i was also lucky has i had worked along side SALT, if you need any support on your optionals give me a shout and good luck x

mrsnoah 01-15-2012 01:37 PM

I think It depends on how lucky you are with your tutor Lyn, my group was told at the beginning we could choose, especially as we all worked in different areas - SEN, Early Years, KS1 and KS2, but then suddenly we had been given our optional units and when we queried it we were told they tied in with our area of work (ha! ha! they didn't but they did appear to tie in with our tutors areas of expertise!). In a weird and crazy way I'm kind of glad because there are things I definitely would not have chosen but somehow managed to complete so I think I now have a broader knowledge. But the advice I would give is push to be allowed to chose your options if your tutor tries to chose them for you because so much of this is knowledge based.
p.s. Lyn - thanks for all your posts - very helpful and supportive.

tutu 01-15-2012 04:06 PM

the text book is just a guide it has the bare minimum info ion and our college actually bans the use of quotes from it as it is the very least you should read. at A level you should be getting used to researching and using other sources for your work not just a text book

NatNoodles 04-26-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutu (Post 43906)
the text book is just a guide it has the bare minimum info ion and our college actually bans the use of quotes from it as it is the very least you should read. at A level you should be getting used to researching and using other sources for your work not just a text book

Oh dont get me wrong I use many sources of information. I have higher qualifications that this course so am used to internet, librarys, reports etc. I just find that some of the questions are very similar and the main textbook helps me to diffrenciate what I should and shouldnt answer under each question.

camelia 06-21-2013 10:34 PM

Hi
I'm new to cypw and have been told to choose my optional unit's. Can anyone tell me where i find them all, as there only 7 in my book.And how many do we have to do? think i recall my assessor saying 4. (Probably just wishful thinking)
Any help would be great. Thanks for info i have gathered for unit 25,68 so far.

kerry-lou 06-23-2013 02:42 PM

i have done 4 optional units, CYPOP 13, 14, 15 and 30. i'd advise not to CYPOP 15! it's a nightmare!