Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Cyp 3.4 -4.2 (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15173)

Bella 02-14-2012 11:30 AM

Cyp 3.4 -4.2

Hi all,
I am new here and really struggling with the last assessment criteria in the H&S unit...

4.2 identify the correct procedures for the recording and reporting accidents, incidents, injuries, signs of illness and other emergencies.

Many thanks!

gracygrey 02-14-2012 12:48 PM

4.1, 4.2:

As an early years setting we have policies and procedures in place for how we respond to accidents, incidents, emergencies and illness and procedures for reporting and recording

Sickness and illness:
The settings policy for the exclusion of children with sick or infectious children is displayed in our waiting room; these include the period of time we require a child to stay home following a bout of sickness or diarrhea or other infectious illness such a chicken pox. When infectious illness is discovered, such as head lice, parents are notified by signs being put up. If a child, following consultation with a qualified medical professional has an infectious disease which is on the notifiable diseases list then Ofsted are informed. If a child becomes ill whilst at the setting there parent/carer are called, if they are not available we have a list of authorised emergency contacts who can come and collect the child, until such time the child is cared for in an appropriate area of the setting. If a child becomes unwell and is a cause for serious concern then an ambulance would be called. Certain illnesses as Meningitis need rapid action, there are posters in our waiting room to advise people on what to do should meningitis be suspected, age specific symptom lists and aids to diagnose such as the glass test.
We have procedures and specific cleaning kit for use on spilled bodily fluids.

Accident/First Aid:
We have a qualified first aider in the setting or on an outing at any one time. The first aiders are listed on a notice for everyone to see should they require help. If a child has an accident at the setting and requires first aid then the relevant qualified person will use the settings first aid kit which is easily accessible and regularly checked. When an accident occurs we fill out or accident book which details; where, when, how and what treatment was administered. The parents/carer is then informed and asked to sign it at the end of the session. If the injury is more severe and requires further medical attention then the parent/carer or authorised is contacted and informed or following signed consent on the settings registration form the child can be taken to the nearest Accident and Emergency unit. We have a duty to inform Ofsted and the Health and Safety Executive of any injury that requires treatment by a medical professional or in the event of the death.

Reviewing the accident book half termly allows us to indentify any potential or actual hazards.
We have an Evacuation Bag which is taken out with us whenever we go outside of the premises or on off site visits/trips the contents of our evacuation bag include: First Aid Kit, Cold Compress, Accident Book, Fire Alarm Whistle, Individual child’s medication in own container, tissues, anti bacterial hand gel, mobile phones, daily signing in/out sheets, contact details of parents/carers and emergency contacts.

Incidents:
When an incident occurs at the setting we record it in our Incident book which is kept in the office filing cabinet.
An incident could be a break in or theft, vandalism, dangerous occurrence, injury or fatality. In the incident book we record the date and time of the incident, nature of the event, who was affected, what was done about it - or if it was reported to the police, and if so a crime number. Any follow up, or insurance claim made, should also be recorded.
We comply with current HSE Regulations and report to the Health and Safety executive.

Emergencies:
We have our emergency procedures displayed at specific points around the setting so that no matter where you are there is a copy within easy view such as the toilets or waiting room. These procedures state what to do in the event of a fire and/or evacuation. Our play leader is responsible for the procedures ensuring they are up-to-date and in place.
We carry out regular fire drills so that the children know what to expect and also to identify any issues with our procedure. The dates and time taken to carry out fire drills are recorded.

Bella 02-14-2012 12:51 PM

Ahhh! Thank you soooo much!:With love:

Nicnac18 06-15-2012 01:30 PM

was stuck on this one too thanks for the information,i know how to word it now :)))))
thank you

nazmo 2010 03-02-2014 05:21 PM

hi i am really stuck on 1.2 and 4.1

1.2 An explanation how health and safety is monitored and maintained and how people in the work setting are made aware of risks and hazards and encouraged to work safely:

An explanation of the policies and procedures of the setting or service in response to accidents, incidents, emergencies and illness
i dont know how to do this please can anybody help i would be grateful
thank you

Ruthierhyme 03-03-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nazmo 2010 (Post 56969)
hi i am really stuck on 1.2 and 4.1

1.2 An explanation how health and safety is monitored and maintained and how people in the work setting are made aware of risks and hazards and encouraged to work safely:

An explanation of the policies and procedures of the setting or service in response to accidents, incidents, emergencies and illness
i dont know how to do this please can anybody help i would be grateful
thank you

Hi, 1.2 is about your setting and the way it uniquely does things xx
Ask a colleague or senior management 'how is health and safety monitored int the setting' ' How is health and safety maintained' ' 'How is everyone made aware of risks, hazards and helped to work in healthy and safe ways'?

For 4.1 aask for copies of the setting's policies and procedures that relate to dealing with accidents, incidents, emergencies and illness. Once you've been able to read through them you'll be able to respond to this criteria :smile: xx

Best wishes

Kharris1 02-23-2015 03:16 PM

Hi Please help me I noticed its in school setting, what about residential setting\\/

I really appreciate your help.

Karen

beffyT_T 02-23-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kharris1 (Post 59075)
Hi Please help me I noticed its in school setting, what about residential setting\\/

I really appreciate your help.

Karen

It'll be similar to gracygrey's post but individual to your own setting. Ask a manager or senior for a copy of your policies and procedures. Idenitfy means just to say what they are and then explain means to describe why they are in place

Good luck :)

laura whinfrey25 03-02-2016 11:04 AM

i love this site you've helped me sooo much thank you!!!!!