Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books and storytelling (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which is your favourite book? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291)

cinders 04-07-2006 11:08 PM

Which is your favourite book?

hello everyone!!!

I LOVE books and reading to children!!! I just thought it would be fun to hear about other peoples favourites!! :D What was your favourite book as a child and which one is your favourite to read to the children now?

When I was a child I loved so many!! but my favourite had to be Georges Marvelous Mediceine!! lol Mr Dahl is a genious! I loves reading about George going to the shed and mixing up that concoction! What a delight!! I always dreamed about what I would mix up in my own, who I would give it to and what it would do! But that my friends is a story for another time!! :rotfl:

Now.....O my there are soooooo many! erm....... erm......which one to choose? lol

lol ok at the moment it would have to be......Dirtie Bertie!!!! lol David Roberts has made it possible for us all to have a god old giggle at all those rude and disgusting things children SHOULDNT but DO do!!!!! and the children LOVE calling out the refrain.... " NO BERTIE THAT'S DIRTY BERTIE!" lol and... I have to say that I bought a copy of the sequel....but felt it was maybe going a little far for nursery! lol I didnt think many parents would appreciate their children going home and talking about bottom burps and poots! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyway.... get thinking - which ones do you love?

Ruthierhyme 04-08-2006 09:45 PM

LOL ... my childhood Author had to be Enid Blyton .. especially the 'Magic wishing chair' set:- Moonface, Silky, Saucepan man ..... :D

Nowadays, I adore the Illustrations of Mick Inkpen, Stephen Cartwright, Nick Butterworth to name a couple.

To read to my 5 'nearly 6' yr old though .. as he chooses his own - I get the delights of trying to make head N tail of Pokemon, Teenage Turtles, and Sponge Bob magazines (has ANYONE actually managed to read a sponge bob strip successfully :muted: :muted: grrrr ) Still - I love the time together for a bedtime story !!

cinders 04-08-2006 11:53 PM

lol im glad I dont have to TRY and read a sponge bob cartoon!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

were moonface, silky and sausepan man also the characters from the magic faraway tree?? Was that Enid Blyton?? they sound familiar - I think I may have read about them there!! lol that book took me forever to read I remember that much!

Awww I took my almost neice to Borders today.... we must have spent at least an hour and a half in there!! lol It was fantastic!! I LOVE what Nick Sharatt has done with the traditional tales!! Might just have to add them to my collection!! (sorry dad more childrens books in the loft!) :D

Ruthierhyme 04-11-2006 03:30 PM

:D:blush: Anj ..you're right !!! The Magic Faraway tree was the Favourite ... with The wishing Chair coming in at 2nd lol... must be the 'visiting strange lands confusion' Will have to dig the books out and refresh my memory !

and it is great to spend time wandering the bookshelf aisles, constantly reminding yourself NOT to buy more lol:D .

bountyangel 05-26-2010 08:30 AM

I would have to say that i enjoyed reading Julia Donaldson. The Gruffalo, The Smartest giant in town, Monkey puzzle, Gruffalos Child and the Gruffalo Songbook as they are for all different reasons too.

ray 01-04-2011 11:16 PM

I loved the Wide Range Reader books!!!! Wonder of you can get them on Amazon????