Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training, Qualifications & CPD (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=245)
-   -   A1 Assessors course & Preschool ? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3784)

Ruthierhyme 03-24-2008 10:26 PM

A1 Assessors course & Preschool ?

Has or is anyone studying for their NVQ assessors qualification & are hoping to later split a tutoring career with Preschool work ?

Is this an unlikely role combination due to possible work loads or can you see a time where joint responsibilities may allow for it ?

cabin 03-24-2008 11:48 PM

yes me!!!

Assessing fits in well with the preschool - However I work for a college and I choose to assess afternoons only as I work morninings in a preschool. I am considering tutoring adults in the not to distant future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme (Post 11459)
Has or is anyone studying for their NVQ assessors qualification & are hoping to later split a tutoring career with Preschool work ?

Is this an unlikely role combination due to possible work loads or can you see a time where joint responsibilities may allow for it ?

Ruthierhyme 03-25-2008 08:59 PM

That sounds like a really good balance & also nice to know the college has such a great approach :cheerful:

Is it made known on the assessors course that it works that well with the hands on element of Preschool work ?

cabin 03-25-2008 09:47 PM

you kiddin? I only happened to mention I'd be interested - next thing I know, I'm on the training course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My college is very flexible... my only difficulty is I can't really assess anyone who only works mornings like I do, so often I do fulldaycare candidates - but I used to work in that area before anyway so experienced in that kind of provision too.

xx

Ruthierhyme 03-25-2008 10:02 PM

lol :D are they short of willing candidates ?

Being on the front line of how things work in practice & being able to assess is a fab combination. If enough qualified assessors got together in a single area a whole new network of community nvq support & assessing timetables could be set up !

Do you get chance to meet up with staff at college very often ?

cabin 03-26-2008 12:11 AM

college staff very approachable - especially by email! I have to say they are a friendly bunch - very supportive... we have meetings once a term and a 'best practice' meeting at least once a year were we can all get together just to share ideas etc. Although I lkie the idea of assessor networks!
xxx

Tracey's Childminding 03-27-2008 05:27 PM

Hi
I have nearly finished my NVQ Level 3 CCLD and would like to go on to be an assessor. I am currently a registered childminder. Is it the norm to have another job as well as assessing or can you just be an assessor? Any advice welcomed.
Luv
Tracey x:smile:

cabin 03-27-2008 09:06 PM

Tracey,
I think this would depend who you 'assess' for ............ I work for a college and I can choose how many candidates I want.
If you're working full time as a childminder you'd find it difficult as you have to go out and observe candidates practice in the workplace. I sometimes do the professional discussions in the evenings - but only if this suits the candidate...as they have the right to be assessed between 9-5 if that's what they want.

xxxx

Ruthierhyme 03-28-2008 03:58 PM

If you found out what sort of job openings there are for qualified assessors in your area I can't see why you couldn't work both sectors. Would you be able to organise your mindees so that it would free up a set schedule for assessor/tutoring work ?

Tracey's Childminding 03-28-2008 07:46 PM

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I am looking to give up childminding and assess full time if possible.
Luv
Tracey xx