Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Importance of resilience for children and young people (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16202)

carriep 06-11-2012 06:23 PM

Importance of resilience for children and young people

Can anybody help with 070 outcome 1.2 Importance of resilience for children and young people ? Really not sure what to include in this question.

teddy bear 06-12-2012 09:36 PM

hi.To get children to become resilient
PSE - adults have got to take children seriously, listen to them, make them feel that they are important, encourage children to try things out for themselves (you start with young children, by being close by, so they know there is an adult there if they need them - this often gives them more confidence to try things). You praise and encourage and praise, if they say things such 'I can't do it, or it's wrong again' when completing a jigsaw, you encourage them by saying they aren't doing anything wrong they are trying/practising; you can tell them when you learnt knitting/cooking/skiing you had to try many times until you could do something.

You help build children's confidence, self-esteem and self-image - having those will help anyone (of whatever age) and build up resilience to try things out, not give in or up, learn that it's perfectly normal to try some things often before they have accomplished something, but not worrying if they don't don't suceed in everything.

You can help by talking at circle time of something that you are not so good at i.e. everytime I try and grow a plant it dies, and finish off with - but I'm very good at washing my car and making it shine like new. read stories of resilience i.e. Jack and the beanstalk.
Resilience is something that needs to be built up in layers.
Some children may have a better disposition/character that may make them gain resilience a little easier, for those that don't have such an 'easy' nature, they may need a little more help to gain pse skills to help them build up their resilience.

Ruthierhyme 06-13-2012 09:11 AM

Hi, resilience is important as it's a mechanism by which children and young people are able to recover from negative experiences .. eg. not recieving the 'star reward they thought they behaved well enough to receive, being knocked whilst waiting their turn at the climbing frame - resilience enables them to react positively/non aggressively to it creating a situation where the other child feels comfortable apologising spontaneously, resilience helps manage the emotions involved if explaining an incident of retalliation others may of considered inappropriate, for young people resilience supports them in knowing where for eg. they say no to drugs/cigarettes the possible abusive teasing or peer pressure this might evoke is expected and can be managed positively .. it also helps when friendships encounter disagreements and romantic/family relationships struggle or breakdown.

Handson Scotland - how to support children becoming resilient

Factors that affect resilience:
• Attachment
• Relationships
• Emotional security
• Health
• Self esteem
• Diet
• Exercise
• Rest and sleep - facts from australia's ABC network site are an interesting read. With credited sources in the UK they'd make good examples for the importance of rest & sleep
• Prompt medical/dental attention when needed
• Preventive health programmes - development checks, immunisations

Hth xx

aka SCMP 2 - 1.2 Explain the importance of resilience for children and young people and CYP 3.3 both help explore resilience, safety and wellbeing and the search page on silkysteps will find threads containing relevant keywords from assessment criteria
Amazon handbook search on amazon

carriep 06-13-2012 12:56 PM

Thanks very much guys thats a big help I thought I was on the right lines with what I had and I was, really appreciate your help xx