Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   2.3 Explain how theories of development and frameworks to support development influence current practice. (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17465)

kerry-lou 02-08-2013 04:14 PM

2.3 Explain how theories of development and frameworks to support development influence current practice.

can anyone please help me on this?! i feel as if ive hit a brick wall! :banghead:

ive wrote about all the theorists and my assessor has said thats fine but ive been told to add on how we use this theory now?

any ideas on these theorists would be a great help!
Piaget
Freud
Maslow
Skinner
Watson

really struggling with this one and im also in the middle of the child protection unit so my head is all over the place! :dizzy:

thank you!

Sabriella 02-08-2013 05:26 PM

This is what I wrote, however I did this unit in the form of an exam so my tutor never got to see it.

Piaget
Piaget’s theories allow us to take the idea of ‘schema’ into practice and use it to effectively plan for the development of a child. Using these ‘schema’ and Piagets stages (sensorimeter, preoperational, concrete operational, formal operational) we can assess where and how a child is currently learning, and plan activities and observations to help them develop into the next stages.

Freud
While Freud’s theories do not necessarily fit in with our rigorous scientific standards, and are today not considered to be very accurate he has been very influential as lots of theorists used his theories as a starting point. He has also helped those working with children understand that there is a link between our mind and our unconscious actions.

Maslow
While Maslow’s theories have been called into question they have however formed as a basis for other theorists who expanded on his hierarchy of needs to build their own 5-level and 8 –level models. His explanations and interpretations are still useful today when trying to understand the behaviours and motivations of humans. This can be extremely useful in childcare when addressing a child’s personal needs, ensuring that their basic needs are met to help them develop.

Skinner
Skinners theories are used widely in practices as we praise children for positive behaviour or for performing an action correctly. As well as giving time out to negative behaviour.

Watson
These theories are implemented in current practices by the reward of good behaviour, and the punishment of unwanted behaviour to encourage a child to behave positively. This include stickers, prizes, privileges, and in the case of unwanted behaviour time outs, and ignoring of attention seeking behaviour.

Hope that helps :)

kerry-lou 02-08-2013 09:16 PM

thank you very much sabriella, it all makes sense now! x

Sabriella 02-08-2013 10:20 PM

No problem :) good luck x