Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Explain how theories of development and frameworks to support development influence current practices - Freud? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15700)

shellyjoe 04-09-2012 12:26 PM

Explain how theories of development and frameworks to support development influence current practices - Freud?

Hi all

Really struggling on this one, tearful:dizzy:

I am stuck on Psychoanalytical
So far I have put:

Psychoanalytical theory was formulated by Freud based on how the human mind functions. He believed that there were factors outside of the individual person’s awareness (unconscious thoughts, feelings and experiences) that influence their emotions, behaviour and actions, and that their past experiences/feeling shape their future.
The Psychoanalytical Theory highlights the importance of the unconscious mental processes and childhood development issues as they relate to childish impulses, childish wishes, juvenile desires and the anxiety of reality.
IS this right, i have read sooo much my head is spinning.

Also my problem is I can get my head around how it has Influence on current practice????

Please, please, please could anybody offer some assistance:banghead:
THanks
Shell

saphire 04-09-2012 03:21 PM

Have you got the Heinemann textbook on the diploma? I just used what it said in there. It has a section under each one with how it has influence current practice. With Freud I said, "This theory has not been scientifically agreed with but has helped those working with children to understand that there is a link between our mind and our unconscious actions".

What you've put about Freud is fine I think. You just need to add underneath how it has influenced current practice.

Hope that helps. Keep going, good luck :)

shellyjoe 04-09-2012 05:09 PM

ok i have amended what i put to this:-

Psychoanalytical theory was formulated by Freud based on how the human mind functions and how personalities are formed. He believed that there are factors outside of the individual person’s awareness (unconscious thoughts, feelings and experiences) that influence their emotions, behaviour and actions, and that their past experiences/feeling shape their future. The Psychoanalytical Theory is also based on the idea that a person’s personality is formed throughout the childhood years, that children go through certain stages at certain points of their childhood and depending on how well the child copes with each of these stages, their adult personality will be affected.
Erikson theory was based on motivation and his amendment on Freud’s theory was that people had certain basic needs which must be successfully met to enable them to reach their full development potential.

Still struggling on how this influences current practice, so far i have put
In our setting we:-
- Encourage the children to show and deal with their real emotions, with the help of books, emotional flash cards and posters. By helping the children gain an understanding of emotions by reflecting on something that may have happened to them. ‘did you feel happy when you went swimming last week’ ‘were you sad when you lost you toy’ ‘were you angry when Tommy would not share’ ‘were you worried that you would be in trouble when you dropped the cup’ etc…… we aim to help the children identify the feelings attached to the emotion

Am i on the right track??????/

Ruthierhyme 04-09-2012 06:30 PM

Sigmund Freud's unconcious mind

Hi, sounds good, when he puts forward the ideas that childhood experiences impact & influence behaviour in later life as adults, a practitioner can use the 3 elements of his personality structure to give weight to the need for positive early years experiences through provision that would support a child in becoming a balanced, well enough adjusted adult to manage the emotions associated with transition and emotional trauma. In aiming high for children with an awareness of any development outcomes, goals or hopes it ensures that a setting can play its part in a child's journey to adulthood.

Freud's personality structure shows how children move through three areas:

ID -------- I want --- biological ---- reflecting instinct
Superego - I can ----- physiological - reflecting intelligence
Ego ------ I should -- social/moral - reflecting institution

In current practice, children's expected stages and patterns of development reflect this detail and provide ways for practitioners to evidence them.

1 ID - patience, sharing, turn taking, understanding by adults to balance 'I want. For newborns it can involve baby led feeding.
2 Superego - challenge, support risk taking, provide assistance to encourage the motivation involved with 'I can
3 ego - negotiation, conflict resolution, reflection and times for discussing equality, inclusion and rules that examine a society's or social expectations - why share, my importance is greater than anothers, I am allowed to do this at home why not here ..

The mind is an iceberg image in this PPT is good

'The application of freudian ideas to child development has sometimes led to a drepressing view of childhood' pg 17 Jennie Lindon 2010

Freud's emphasis of how it was sexual drive - psychosexual stages that determined development caused many disagreements. The methodology of phsychoanalysis was given the term 'the talking cure' by patient Anna O and demonstrates how settings are right in supporting children's general event disclosure - daily happenings and conversations of children's specific concern, conflict and upset... hopefully preventing the suppression of negative or positive feelings associated with those experiences.

The arguments presented by psychoanalysis continue to challenge that of behaviourist theory where evidence or results are gathered through observation alone without consideration to the complexity of what might be going on inside a child's mind :smile: in practice this means phsychoanalysis supports and enables a setting to promote an emotional approach to children's development, learning & their behaviour.

Using open ended questions helps children provide more detailed responses to queries - how, what, why ..
xx

...................~*
Supporting silkysteps
For a list of level 3 diploma learner handbooks on amazon.co.uk

shell loves cats 02-28-2014 04:28 PM

im stuck on the frameworks part - it says explain how theories of development and FRAMEWORKS TO SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT influence current practice. ive done about the theorists and just trying to work out how they influence current practice but dpont understand the frameworks bit of the question

Ruthierhyme 02-28-2014 05:48 PM

Hi depending on which home nation you work in, the framework will be the set of requirements laid out by your government to ensure providers offer legal, quality care, learning and development opportunities eg: if you're in England the framework is the EYFS, if in Wales it's the Foundation phase, Northern Ireland or Scotland - all home nation frameworks

Using your specific framework, how does it guide and influence what you do each day?

xx

shell loves cats 02-28-2014 08:14 PM

ah, yes of course eyfs. thanks, yes i understand what i need to do now. i'll try and get that completed tomorrow, ive not had much time to do work at home lately due to having a very poorly cat & frequent visits to the vet and when i do get time i'm struggling to focus or understand stuff. got so many reflective accounts to do aswell. one less thing to be stressed about now i can get this one done.