Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   CYP 3.3 Safeguarding what a nightmare - 1.1 legislation and guidelines and 1.2 Explain child protection? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14367)

sharon ashenden 11-14-2011 08:45 PM

CYP 3.3 Safeguarding what a nightmare - 1.1 legislation and guidelines and 1.2 Explain child protection?

Hi
The more i read the more i get confused.

Struggling to know what to write for these questions

An outline of current legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures within UK home nation affecting the safeguarding of children and young people.

For legislation do i write about

Childrens act 1989
Children act 2004
the children and young person act 2008
the vetting and barring scheme 2009 now known as the Disclosure and Barring Service
Safe working practices for adults working with children and young people 2009
What to do if you're worried a child is being abused

have i missed any what are the guidelines

policies and procedures does this include health and safety, child protection, outings, visitors to the setting.

How much do i need to write for this

This is hard

Please help me someone have sat at the computer for the last 2 days got nowhere.

lyn c 11-14-2011 09:46 PM

Hi

there is also;
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989– this includes the right from protection from abuse, the right for the individual to express their views and listen to them. Disabled children should have the right to be cared for and services put into place either if they are living at home or they live away from home. -

The Education Act 2002- this requires governing bodies, local education Authority and further education to
protect, safeguard and promote the welfare of children.

Adoption and Children Act 2002- amends the children’s act 1989 and now includes “harm” associated with witnessing domestic violence.

Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004: There was a loop hole in other legislation that allowed defendants in murder or manslaughter cases, could blame each other for the death of a child or vulnerable adult. This is now the responsibility for members of a household where they are allowing a child or vulnerable adult to be at significant risk of harm.

Sexual Offences Act 2003- covers new legislation relating to offences against children such as:
• Abuse of position of trust.
• Trafficking (also covers uk citizens whilst abroad)
• Monitoring of *** offenders (*** offenders act 1997)

a few more to add

Lynne

sharon ashenden 11-14-2011 10:24 PM

Hi thanks for replying i am still confused i thought some of them were the answer to the next question an explanation of child protection within the wider concept of safeguarding children and young people.
Feeling really daft, just finding it hard to get head around.

Ruthierhyme 11-15-2011 02:59 AM

Hi, try to write as much as makes everything clear :With love: if it helps try to adjust how you think of safeguarding and protection in general.

Safeguarding could be viewed as an umbrella term that emcompasses everything a setting/provision does to ensure the safety and well-being of their children - and adults!

Tis involves considerations about ..
  • Keeping everyone safe from accidents
  • other Health and safety - coshh, riddor - spotty book, medications, fire safety precautions, product safety markings, vehicles - seat belts and seat provision, childcare act 2006 sets statutory rights for registered settings to be inspected on both assesment + health and safety ofsted, smoking ban, food hygiene legislation 2006. First aid training, outings, adult to child ratios, health and safety at work act 1974, manual handling regulation, data protection act 1998
  • Crime
  • Bullying
  • Forced marriage
  • Missing children
  • Ensuring the environment is a safe and healthy one in order to promote well-being
Introduction to child protection legislation in the UK - NSPCC
Staying safe action plan 2008 national policy
Common assessment framework this helps to identify an individual's welfare needs: introduced through legislation of the Children's act 2004

England - eyfs
Northern Ireland - foundation stage
Scotland - prebirth to 3 and Curriculum for excellence
Wales - foundation phase

Cafcass - for information :smile:, this in part supports knowledge of how outside agencies work together to safeguard children and the part practitioner's play in their professional duties to protect & safeguard the children in their care.

The CRB disclosure system alongside the CWDC safer recruitment training helps to safeguard children against being placed in contact with unsuitable people, as best as it all can.
This includes safeguarding procedures for eg. visitors to a setting where unsupervised access to children may occur - maintenance work, parents taking own children only to toilet..

Exisitng & new injuries book
Signing in & out/visitors book

The ISA exists in order to manage safeguarding procedures at a national level.
LSCBs - are local safeguading children's boards, bringing safeguarding closer to the front line, and providing the means to action child protection procedures .. check on your own .gov.uk website to see what information is available for your local board also introduced through legislation of the Children's act 2004 and a key part of ECM

Child protection is the actual process that you take in order to act against a reasoned understanding that a child is at risk from significant harm.
Safeguarding would have practitioners trained to recognise when a child/ren is at risk from harm or is in need as a result of their vulnerability.

Reporting information from the NSPCC

Publication - what to do if you are worried a child is being abused. Child protection is part of the wider implications that safeguarding has overall and forms an area of its own high importance.

The tragic death of Victoria Climbie at the hands of her carers higlights the dysfunctional way in which services for children were happening. The Laming report of 2003 examined this and produced the green paper/policy Every child matters which in turn instigated extensions to the Children's act of 1989 .. introducing the children's act of 2004, all of which support the UNCRC's articles eg. 19, 32, that give children the right to be protected from harm and to have protection procedures in place that enable care for a child that safeguards their well-being.

Child protection area for safeguarding procedures on education.gov.uk .. shows how the titles can interchange helping to confuse confusion it does help to look at what a proactive and reactive approach is.

I hope this helps a little more xx

*JP* 08-16-2012 08:35 PM

thank you! so helpful :)