Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Key factors for speech, language and communcation - EYMP 4 (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14586)

Fulham Supporter 12-10-2011 08:25 AM

Key factors for speech, language and communcation - EYMP 4

:banghead: Hi all,
I have been ploughing through this diploma as best as I can, but, I am stuck, not sure how to answer this question, any help would be appreciated.
I just want to get this finished now.

The question is on EYMP5 4.2, Review evidence about the key factors that provide supportive speech, language and communication environment.

Thank You X

Ruthierhyme 12-10-2011 06:10 PM

Hi & hugs, hang in there xx

Page 290 of EYMP 4 in the Heinemann handbook will help

Key factors ..

1. Your room/setting layout - what does your physical environment look like?
------- The noise level - are there quieter and noisier areas, planned times or activities?
------- Quality of light - are play areas well lit for children to see & communicate well with each other, see mouth movements, resources & staff.
------- Space to move, expressively, with whole bodies, with and without speed
------- Resources and toys - is there a varied selection available for both indoor & outdoor play.

2. Staff
------- involvement/roles - how does everyone interact with childrn to promote communication; share observations 'that worked well', 'he does have two ears and a very waggy tail', share information about choices eg. snack foods, range of activities, introductions 'xx's mum is in today to help make sandwiches'.
------- Staff responsibilities - does a keyperson system operate to support your children? How do you monitor, check children's language needs.
------- Planning daily routines - are there times of the day to support communication eg. greetings and goodbyes, hygiene practices, toilet asking times? small, large group and individual activity?
------- Training opportunities? possibly for makaton, baby signing, other language, SLT, impairement, development, activity intervention & awareness.

3. Children's own views - how do children tell you what they like to do, what they would like to play with and how is that recorded/actioned.

4. Parent & carer involvement: how does the setting engage with parents to share activity ideas, rhymes, resources, books, event dates, news, parent's language needs, knowledge & expertise

5. Language itself - identify the types of language/methods of communication used in the setting; facial, body, creative, expressive, behavioural, ESL or EAL, sign, braille and see if anything needs updating, renewing, reorganinsg to meet the needs of everyone who accesses your provision.
-- Gaps in languages: are words that are used to discuss & describe objects & activities spoken in English within the setting but home language versions are unknown so that they can't be shared with parents/carers outside of the setting? eg. sand, playdough, bookcorner, snack time..
In reverse are the words used at home not known in english so children are unable to share events, items with everyone within the setting? eg. cultural clothing names, musical instruments, cooking utensils, event & festival names.
Adapting ways to communicate: pointing, increasing the use of facial expression, simplifying and shortening sentences, txt, email, large print

Page 35 of this pdf has a printable sheet that helps you to examine your setting's environment - EYMP 5

Review evidence could be your setting's ..
  • Policies & procedures - what do they say about language & communication?
  • The type of observations that record children's speech, language & communication
  • Your OfStEd report
  • Your Self evaluation form
  • Feedback from children, parents, colleagues, management, external stake holders/those you work in parnership with ... in the community and those in the professional care sector
Hth xx

starbursts 04-15-2012 11:32 PM

that is fantastic information helpped me tons thankyou very much Ruthierhyme honestly dont know where id be without this site. i dont post much but find so much information and help here :)

Shabzzy 08-15-2019 06:04 PM

Use the key factors within the early years environments to support communication, language, literacy and numeracy/mathematics
Environments include:

• Indoor

• Outdoor

• Emotional

• Familiar/unfamiliar

Can anyone help me with this question