Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Evaluating different approaches to supporting positive behaviour - pros and cons (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13932)

Mockingbird 10-06-2011 06:56 PM

Evaluating different approaches to supporting positive behaviour - pros and cons

I'm just going round and round in circles and its now doing my head in.. the more i think about it the more confused i am :-(

Evaluate different approaches to supporting positive behaviour.....

No idea where to start or what to write..... any help would be very very very much appreciated... Thankyou

mrsnoah 10-06-2011 07:25 PM

hi Mockingbird - I'm on the same thing I've created a table with each behaviour strategy and it's pros and cons.

I have included:
providing an alternative
tactical ignoring of negative behaviour
distraction and diversion
positive reinforcement
time out
modelling
rewards and incentives
boundary setting
reflection - the child
giving responsibility
warning systems - such as cards or traffic lights
hope this helps and good luck!
best wishes
Mrs Noah:applause:

Mockingbird 10-06-2011 08:25 PM

its the pros and cons i'm having trouble with. Lol

mrsnoah 10-06-2011 10:14 PM

Hi Mockingbird - this is what I have come up with so far - might help with ideas - mines still a work in progress - found chocolate more interesting!!

Providing an alternative ( not to be confused with a reward, e.g. if you
complete this task now, later on you can ...)

Pros:

Ensures set work is completed.
Avoids confrontation.
Sets out clear expectations.
Motivating.

Cons:
Other children may be jealous or misinterpret it as a reward and misbehave to gain similar treatment.
May cause more work in terms of providing alternative.

Tactical ignoring of negative behaviour
Pros:
Child learns that they will only receive attention for positive behaviour and adjust accordingly.

Cons:

Only works if negative behaviour is a result of attention seeking.
Very disruptive to teaching and environment.
Other children may try to copy behaviour.

Distraction

Pros:

Takes child’s mind off trigger for negative behaviour.
Provides a means of exhibiting positive behaviour and thus praise and rewards.

Cons:

Child may be resistant and therefore situation could escalate.
May require thought and planning.

Positive reinforcement

Pros:

Encourages children to repeat positive behaviours.
Gives children an incentive to behave in a positive way.
Is tangible and achievable to all.

Cons:

If used too frequently or not frequently enough can lose their incentive.
May not appeal/work for older children.
Dependent on timing – if you miss the positive behaviour the child may feel ignored.

Mockingbird 10-06-2011 11:34 PM

Hi.. Well, i've now evaluated 4 different approaches and for each one i've put 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses.. I've also written about which one we use most in our setting and why i think it works (my assessor suggested this)

I'm not sure how many i need to evaluate, so thats another question for my assessor :-)

Thanks for your help tonight :-)
When are you hoping to finish your diploma ?

mrsnoah 10-07-2011 04:32 PM

well - due to finish in February but would really like to complete it before Christmas so I can sit and watch rubbish movies and eat chocolate without worrying about how much I've got left to do. unfortunately I fell behind because I was a little poorly ah well maybe the dodgy Christmas movies will have to wait!!!

Mockingbird 10-07-2011 06:12 PM

I'm hoping to finish by Christmas too :-)
Good luck :-)

mibehama 06-24-2012 04:48 PM

Hi the above has helped me too, but i have been given 6 to do!!! Behaviour plans, de-escalation and diversion, reflection on their behaviour, rules and routines, role models and positive reinforcement. didnt have a choice of which ones i had to do!!! any help on the pro's and con's would be much appreciated!!!
Thank you

PaulineG 11-18-2015 08:49 PM

Hi, I also found this very helpful as i was struggling with the answer. I found this Unit challenging ....Thanks .

MaDDye 11-19-2015 02:04 PM

3.1 Use a solution focused approach to encourage children to develop a positive outlook when experiencing transitions and significant events

any ideas?

thank you x