Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   cyp 3.4 why it is important to take a balanced approach to risk management? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13396)

natalie85 08-03-2011 08:32 PM

cyp 3.4 why it is important to take a balanced approach to risk management?

the question is
3.4, 3.1
an explanation of why it is important to take a balanced approach to risk management.

Heres what i have wrote so far, could someone tell me if i am on the right lines, and any information i could add to this. thankyou.

It is important to allow children to take risks and challenge. Any activity a child does involves some risk, we must consider the age, needs and ability of each individual needs. If an activity is well planned and organised the chance of an accident or injury should be minimal. Allowing children to take risks will build a child’s self esteem and confidence. This will learn children about safety and how to assess risk, they will also gain responsibility. As I work with young children and responsible for play provision we need to take a balanced approach to risk management, we need to take into account the benefits the provision offers as well as the risks it involves.

any help would be great xx

---------------------------------------
Supportive level 3 handbooks on amazon.co.uk

tutu 08-03-2011 11:32 PM

looks good i would expect to see some practice examples describing how you managed the risk

natalie85 08-04-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutu (Post 39515)
looks good i would expect to see some practice examples describing how you managed the risk

Thanks TuTu.

when you say give examples describing how you manage risk,

something i have in mind would be children doing a water activity( an adult observing at all times, children wearning aprons etc) am i on the right lines, feel like im rambling on with this question and not getting to the point.

Thankyou

Natalie

tutu 08-04-2011 01:27 PM

yes great example. tho wearing an apron wont reduce any risk! lol how about a 3 yr old jumping off the steps of a climbing frame? he wants to you know he needs to experiment so how to ensure he is as safe as he can be? be there ensure theres no one where hes jumping and that theres a safety mat etc.

lyn c 08-04-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalie85 (Post 39530)
Has anyone any ideas they could share with me on this question?

Thankyou x

Hi

i wrote about the climbimg frame, how i supported children but didn't interfere e.g. helping when needed (maybe a small child) but standing back and letting them take risks (going down the slide backwards, head first etc when they were confident about completing the task) and the safety mats were in place. I put a copy of a Risk assessments that i had done to back the information up. I also did a scenario of a child wanting to go on the climbing frame with a superhero cape or a princess in a long gown and said how i could not minimise the risk of an accident occuring so i had to speak to the child and tell them that they could only do one or the other (due to the long cape maybe getting caught and them ending up hanging themselves)and also backed this up with if the child then protested i would speak to them about super heroes and how even they could get hurt, because a child sees the climbing frame as a princess castle with the princess on top or a superhero climbing a tall building.

Hope it helps and i've explained it right.

Lynne

natalie85 08-04-2011 04:22 PM

Thankyou Lynne,

My tutor has pointed out to me to include something about, avoiding excessive risk taking?
eg. climbing & jumping off book shelves or furniture in a busy setting

and not being excessively risk averse?
eg. discouraging physical activity or use of scissors because it might be dangerous.

Have you any guidance what i could write about this?

really could do with getting this unit completed by today.

Thankyou

Natalie

diaros 01-26-2014 12:17 AM

this is what i had written hopes it help:thumbsup:
A practitioner working with children have a duty of care toward the children and must make sure that they are safe.
They should plan the play environment and activity which is safe for the child, but there also should be a balance between the risk a child can take. Children should be allowed to take risk with adult support but not too much intervention. If they are not allowed to take risk they will not be able to develop the skills required to deal with risks and make judgement about their own strengths and skills .this would affect their development , self esteem and confidence.
Through taking risks, children build their capabilities, explore their emotions, expand their horizons, and test boundaries. They also gain practical experience of taking responsibility for their safety.
Children need to experiment and explore their surrounding in order to learn and with risk management we make sure to minimize the risk involved and likelihood of an accident or injury, this is done by planning , organizing and doing risk assessment .
If a child is never allowed to cut with scissors they will never learn to use them and develop their fine motor skills but we as adult must manage the risk by providing a child friendly scissors, supervising the child and making them aware of how to hold a scissors when walking around.
Those responsible for children have to take a balanced, thoughtful approach to managing risk.

================================================== ===================
If you're a student and reading this post kindly submitted by a silkysteps forum member
do not copy and paste it.
AVOID PLAGIARISM

Read it only, inform your knowledge and find links to creditable sources that you can quote.
Then write from your own perspective, what you do in your own setting/s and use your own words to reflect professional practice & research
================================================== ===================