Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   026 ways of reducing risk using internet (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13333)

sweepdustypan 07-26-2011 07:27 PM

026 ways of reducing risk using internet

My head is just going around and around on this one!

This quwstion asks, give two examples of ways of reducing risks using the internet?

I have written the obvious one all about passwords, parent control, filters, blocks,etc
But I cannot think of another way?

Please can someone put me in the right direction please

kirstywirsty 07-26-2011 07:33 PM

maybe this could be about giving children knowledge around the dangers and ways to keep safe using the internet.
E-safety classes, most schools are now doing.
Allowing children with knowledge to use the internet by them selves or if they don't have the knowledge or understanding to have set time and be with them.

Hope that's a lil help

kirsty

lyn c 07-26-2011 07:41 PM

Hi
Don't know if this will help but this is what i put for this question and had it signed off.

Social networking.
• Talk to the children/young people about predators about never talking to strangers, meeting them etc.
• Use control systems that are built into windows 7 or windows vista or download it free from sites such as Windows Live Family Safety Settings.
• Restrict access to social networking sites. Most social networking sites have age limits so make sure they adhere to this. As children become older help them to find sites that are well-monitored and are especially for children.
• Monitor which social network sites that they visit and the content of the conversations that are taking place.
• Take an interest on what your child is doing on the social networking website.

Internet use.
• Filter out sexual images.
• Monitor children’s online activity and block site’s that are inappropriate.
• Limit the amount of time the child/young person spends online. Block their ability to send out personal information.
• Use browsers that are specially designed for child/young person’s e.g. Surf safely, Yahoo’s (web guide for kids) and Ask Jeeves kids.
• Talk to children/young adults about not trusting others, not to meet people in person, do not give out personal information (names, numbers, address, e-mail, photos or school information), log out if uncomfortable about anything.
• Encourage the children/young people to be aware of the risks of the internet.
• Encourage children/young people to talk to you about things that might be happening on-line and guide them in the right direction. This will help them to recognise the dangers that could develop.
• Place the computer in a main room where you can supervise the use and support them whilst they are using the computer on-line.
The Byron review was published in 2008. Key points are:
• Parents will hold the key role.
• video games must now be clearly labelled with age ratings (from 3 years to adult, a logo on the back of the game to represent each age group).
• Computers sold for home use should be kitemarked with parental control measures (software).
• They also set up an awareness campaign on child internet services and behaviour.
• Schools should have an acceptable use policy in place.(ofsted will monitor this).

Buying online.
• There is a risk of others hacking into your computer to get your identity this can be minimised by a firewall. A firewall can help by preventing hackers or malicious software from gaining access to your information
• There is a risk to young persons of fraud (your card details being used by an unauthorised users) whilst buying online. This can be prevented by using a secure payment system (PayPal), this enables you to buy from multi online shops and pay using one account set up by PayPal, so money is only exchange through the purchaser and PayPal (you pay PayPal and PayPal pays the online company). A PayPal account is set up and verified by PayPal they take two small payments from your debit card to verify that you are who you say you are, then you can use the account via a password system.

Using a mobile phone.
• There is a risk to their health by means of cancer/tumour, they can reduce the risk by using landline phones, hands free, loud speakers or blue tooth. If the phone is held a few inches away from the ear or less time made on phone calls perhaps use text messages instead of ringing a friend, this can make a difference.
• A risk of them being attacked if they have expensive phones (I-phone 4). Buy a cheap pay as you go phone for them to use at school or clubs this will minimise the risk and still allow the child/young person to have access to a phone.

Lynne

sweepdustypan 07-26-2011 08:46 PM

Thank you ever so much lyn at least I am the right lines, sometimes I worry too much so that is why this forum is so useful and friendly and helpful

lyn c 07-26-2011 09:04 PM

Hi

Yes i know what you mean i do exactly the same thing, i think i'm doing it wrong and just need someone to tell me that i am doing the right thing lol.

I also write too much sometimes just can't stop writing, i think i haven't written enough and i research more and more.

Glad i could help a little

Lynne

themacboy1 02-04-2016 10:13 AM

Brilliant thanks....