Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Explain the dilemma between the rights and choices of children and young people and h (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13676)

Jadey 09-07-2011 07:57 PM

Explain the dilemma between the rights and choices of children and young people and h

Explain the dilemma between the rights and choices of children and young people and health and safety requirements

CYP3.4 Supporting children and how peoples health and safety. Its question 3.2

Really cant get my head around this and have no idea where to start.
Any help would be appreciated as always : )

tigi_2003 09-07-2011 09:24 PM

Hi Jadey,

You need to discuss:

Any activity involves risk, however if the activity is well planned and organised, with thoughts to the possible risks (Carrying out risk assessments) the likelihood of an accident happening is minimal. Staff need to balance the risk of an activity against the benefit to and safety of the child.
Risk and challenges are important to children, avoiding risks and challenging would result in a very timid child/ adult who would lack in everyday skills and abilities and wouldn’t be aware of risks and dangers. Children need to explore and take risks to learn and develop.

Link this to the UN Convention – Articles,
How children learn and develop by making choices and trying out new experiences but they do not always have the skills and judgements to make safe choices. So how might you support children?
Children need freedom to make choices however they must be kept safe so how do you deal with this dilemma. For example: A disabled child may be restricted in play at home because of parental concern that the child could hurt themselves. However in a well controlled environment the child could be encouraged to explore and try out new skills.
How have you encouraged children to take risks, have freedom, choices and independence however maintained their safety?

Hope this helps

ash-a- 08-15-2012 04:50 PM

Explain the dilemma between the rights and choices of children and young people and health and safety requirements

pleaseeee help a havent a clue where to start!! xx:dizzy:

laura94 08-15-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash-a- (Post 49292)

pleaseeee help a havent a clue where to start!! xx:dizzy:

hiya ash-a,

i struggled on this one aswell but i basically spoke about different risks children are faced with everyday and how teachers go about teaching children about risk and letting them experience risk while sticking to the health and safety requirements, one example i spoke about was doing say a sticking activity with leaves, letting the children go searching for leaves, going into bushes can be dangerous because of prickles but children need to learn it can be dangerous and they need to be careful while exploring the bushes linking with the activity..

hope this helps :D

Yazmin06 11-07-2012 10:24 PM

Seen my assessor yesterday with regar to this question and she told me to write that the UN conventions state that children have the right to make there own decisions yet we have a duty of care to ensure the children in our care don't get harmed or injured so we have to let children make there own decisions yet if we think it will cause them injuries we have to step in and stop them making that decision, all you have to do is write what I have said and then find a incident that has occurred within your setting and write about that too as your example of this happening, I haven't had my work marked on this yet but this is what I was told to write. Hope it helps Chloe x

diaros 01-27-2014 06:54 PM

Every one working with children had a duty of care towards them and the safety of the children is of paramount importance
According to the UN convention of children’s right children and young people have the right to learn and develop, the right to be protected from harm and make choice. Children learn to and develop by making choice, exploring and experiment the environment around but they do not necessarily have the skill and judgement to make the right choice all the time. As a practitioner we must be there to support them by giving them the skill for example a child should not be stopped from playing with spade and planting vegetable outside but instead must be provided with child size tool, show them how to dig the soil and plat and supervise the child when doing so thus minimizing the risk and if any accident do happen there is always a qualified first aider to deal with it.
As a practitioner we need to give children that freedom to explore experiment and make choice but also make sure that the risk is managed by doing risk assessment and adult supervision. Children are bound to have accident when learning new thing but they must not stopped from doing so but we must look for ways of how this can be done safely.

this is what I have written can anybody tell me if i'm going in the right direction plzzz