Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Learning activities (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Using eyfs assessment sheet to evaluate activities? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6715)

Ruthierhyme 04-01-2009 05:32 PM

Using eyfs assessment sheet to evaluate activities?

Does, has or how does everyone use the assessment scales reference sheet to check the depth or scope of activities?

Assessment reference sheet or poster

Main launch page from qca - Early Years handbook

What type of questions do you ask of the 'activity or equipment / setting to assess its suitability and are Children / staff able to request activities knowing what learning may be gained through it?

cabin 04-01-2009 08:14 PM

Being a pre-school, we do not fill in the foundation stage profile - but I do know a neighbouring borough do expect a scaled down version for each child to be completed before they receive any funding! Just the PSE and PD areas.

We have continous provision sheets displayed so staff and parents are always able to see what resources/activities benefit certain areas of learning.
We try to directly involve children in the planning - but to be honest it doesn't seem to happen much!! We're a pack-away group, and the children tend to be very 'here and now' and if we ask if they want other resources out often they look at us as if we're mad!!! We have tried a book with all resources photographed so they can look and chose......... but they like to just take the book into the book area and just 'read' it!
But we watch and observe........ if we see a child using a resource well- and we feel we can extend the learning - often we just go and collect other resources and place them within 'eyeview' of the child, we try and avoid taking over the play by leading in the direction we feel it should go.

sparky 04-01-2009 11:05 PM

We are the same as you Cabin. We have 2 sets of drawers for the children to choose from. Our Daily Helpers choose activities from these as well as choosing the computer programme of the day.

In a pack away setting it is so hard to offer everything!

Kathie 04-02-2009 05:04 PM

I was told recently not to use the assessment sheets and that i have to track the children using a cohort tracking sheet that has been devised for us down in Cornwall, we have to put what development age they are at based on knowledge and planning along with observations for their next steps. It amuses me how different country wide the EYFS is when we all work to achieve the same outcomes:fryingpan

Ruthierhyme 04-02-2009 06:04 PM

Rather than to track Children's development I was thinking more on how this sheet could be used to evaluate the assets of activities, along the lines of how continuous planning sheets evaluate & document, but by using the assessment scales as references/ a reference sheet to ask 'does the activity allow the Child to ...

This was just a thought on the reference sheets possible flexibility & maybe its use for developmental awareness - what the setting provides, please don't have it around if you've been advised not to.

xx

cabin 04-02-2009 09:21 PM

I hadn'd really thought about using it like that - although we do have a copy in our planning folder so staff can see at a glance all the main goals. It is a handy reference tool.

xxx