Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Explain how to monitor children and older children development using different method (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12775)

amina 05-14-2011 06:18 PM

Explain how to monitor children and older children development using different method

how you would check on children’s development so to see if they are progressing normally in all areas ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please also see outcome 3 of Unit CYP 3.1 understanding childrens development

--------------------------------------------------------------

pricklyhedgehog 05-15-2011 10:05 AM

When we answered this question (and I have had this unit signed off with distinctions across the board, so am supposing it was okay!)....we had to mention both summative and formative methods of assessment, such as formal testing / SATS etc which record a childs academic attainment / inteleectual development. But also formative methods such as different child observational methods - target child, tick box checklists, time sampling methods. All would be used in different settings and for different purposes by different people. Teaching assistants may be asked to observe a child whose development is causing concern and feedback to the teacher...they may use the teachers checklist or simply be asked to undertake an observation.

It's important to mention that you would always record / feedback to parents too about the outcome of your findings (via the teacher or according to your role). Yu would compare your observation / SATS / testing results against the expected norms and milestones / expected devleopmental age stats....and use feedback from parents (any concerns shared at home etc)....to then check with class teacher, who would discuss with SENCO in school etc.....and they would then look if any school action / school action plus / SEN interventions were required....

Wth an older child you would need to involve him / her (according to his age and understanding) in any assessment of their development - so recording their feelings wishes and views.....check you are observing them in different contexts (depending on which areas of their development you are looking at - for example social development observe in playground, in group and individual settings etc).

Also take into account their culture / EAL and any issues with these, as it is important to mention you have considered this - a young person may have EAL needs but these may not be creating delayed development (i.e. he / she may not be delayed in areas of their development such as when using their first language).

hope this answer helps!

ash-a- 08-19-2012 07:07 PM

cyp 3.1

cyp 3.1

Outcome 3 :3.1 explain how to monitor children and young people's development using different methods.

someone please help me i am banging my head against the wall i dont know where to start :banghead: if some one could pleaseee give me a clue :thumbsup:

ania_bell 09-27-2012 06:13 PM

I am stuck on different ways of monitoring children and young people's development too! I have a table with four methods written in - Observation, Assessment framework, Standard measurement, Information from colleagues and carers.

I need to write description and when it is most appropriate to use this method.

So far I know:

Observation: Observations can be taken during lessons or in the playground. They record what the child is doing in a subjective way. It's most appropriate to use this method when child's development is causing concern.

Assesment framework: It is the way in which child is assessed to decide wheter they have any particular needs and waht these needs may be. It is useful in deciding wheter the child is reaching expected milestones of development in different areas. The assessment framework is how children are assessed in school, e.g when a child reads, we write it in their reading records.

Information from colleagues and carers: Parents/carers who know the child and colleagues expertise are invaluable, especially when planning for social and academic success for pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities. If we are concerned about child's development it's good to ask/share information.

Standard measurement: NO IDEA.

Can someone please help? I am seeing my tutor tomorrow and I am panicking!

KristyC 09-28-2012 01:39 PM

Standard measurements include health assessments, reasoning tests, cognitive aptitude tests (CATs) They are used to establish where children are developmentally compared to their peers. Obviously you need to expand but I hope that helps.

Ruthierhyme 11-22-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sar79 (Post 50867)
Hi,

Hi, a few ideas on monitoring children could be
  • The type of observations you undertake in your setting
  • The assessments that are made - do you have progress charts or records that map children's development, that you then have planned and unplanned times to evaluate, enabling you to support children's development / be aware of their current stage of development? Assesment frameworks involve methods such as England's EYFS profile, possibly baseline assessments for children entering a new setting, the way a setting assesses development for a possible 2 year progress check, P-scales are another method that may be used to assess the development of children with learning difficulties. Other materials from Early Support might be used.
  • Standard measurement - school tests/cognitive aptitude tests that demonstrate a snapshot of children's academic ability or skill at retaining taught information and that might then be used to compare outcomes between a larger population of same-age children. Health programmes that might measure head circumference, weight, height, visual and auditory functioning. Educational psychologists may use reasoning tests to assess an intellectual age in contrast to a cronological age.
  • Do you share information with colleagues and parents that enable you to monitor children - maybe a parent pops in to explain they're concerned their child might be feeling a little poorly one morning, a colleague lets you know how they saw a child achieve a milestone in their development.
If you have access to a handbook there are sections in each that support this knowledge.

Activity planner - planning creative physical other area of learning observation

Development plan for observing & assessing individual children

Hth

Level 3 CYPW learner handbook on amazon.co.uk

Lennyboy 06-25-2018 11:30 AM

Hi this is my first time on SS.
Whilst observing/ monitoring young people are there any other differences I should be thinking about in addition to the great advice given above by prickly hedgehog.
thank you