Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Diploma help cyp3.1 external and personal factors? (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12580)

fennessy23 04-22-2011 12:47 PM

Diploma help cyp3.1 external and personal factors?

really stuck on this assignment, personal and external factors influencing devlopment. ive just started this but kinda stuck as to where to start with it.

PeePe 04-22-2011 02:28 PM

Hi, I have just finished this part of the assignment.... I'm trying to trawl my way through the theorists bit :banghead:
I have wrote and explained how the following things could potentially affect children's development.

Unit support for CYP 3.1

Personal factors such as:

Influences before and at birth - as in genetics, maternal diet etc during pregnancy, birth itself i.e. problems due to lack of oxygen, cord round neck, injuries from birth etc.

Health - child who has ill health may spend time in hospital and miss time from pre-school and school affecting education on all levels including emotional and social aspects of making friends etc. Also conditions like asthma triggered by certain conditions could affect child's physical development and need hospital/doctors visits etc.

Disability - this one is pretty obvious but I also included the effects of child with disability and also parent with disability and affect on child's development.

External factors such as:

Poverty- diet (nutritional issues - lack of energy and concentration); opportunities for play may not have finances to give extra opportunities such as music/swimming lessons; poor housing (poor conditions - overcrowding - ill health from damp & lack of finances for sufficiently heat in cold months); education (potential of reduced access to quality education and the best schools and limited access to variety of books and equipment as well as internet); motivation and aspirations - lack of this causing depression to either parent/s or child or both plus lack of motivation to learn and thrive in education etc.

family - drug/alcohol/abuse at home - obvious affects but also financial strain from drug and alcohol abuse leading to other diet related issues, broken family - both sides good relationship positive affects on child i.e. lots of stimulation and parents making most of time available and bad relationship - negative effects on child development - emotional aspects.

Children's personal choices - I thought about teenagers and choosing to smoke, drink,take drugs and have sexual encounters - and ways could effect development. Also the company they keep - with potential of anti-social behaviour etc

Children in care - lack of stable, loving warm environment as well as reasons why they have been taken into care in the first place - this is a big one but is quite straight forward on influences and affects.

Education and extra curricular activities - being part of the community and participating in activities- furthering and developing many skills. with the flip side being those who don't participate, are unable to or finances restrict opportunities - potentially not developing as well as those who have the opportunities.

Anyway I know it looks like alot :dizzy: ..... but is ok once you get started... I hope this helps :cheerful:

fennessy23 04-23-2011 10:13 AM

thankyou so much, manage to get my head round it little.and im then on to the same part as you after this.im on such a deadline to get my nvq 3 done.as ive been promoted to deputy matron so need this qualification.thanku so much

PeePe 04-23-2011 02:11 PM

Congrats on the promotion.
I am also on a tight deadline I also have got a promotion to work one to one SEN :-)

jade96 06-21-2014 03:33 PM

Has anyone got any more detail on how these factors can affect development?
thanks (: